Interchangeability

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, here go...

I would like to get back into a bike build and this is, well, going to be such a noob question [or inquiry] I almost hesitate to ask... I'm going to ask only to try to eliminate some frustration that comes along with errant (incorrect) purchases due to my lack of experience in regards to bicycle parts-n-pieces and to perhaps speed up the process a bit too!

I want to build [or create] starting with the foundation pictured below. I've got an idea of what I want, just need to put thoughts into motion. I see a lot of bikes where forks are interchanged, sprockets are swapped from the stamped steel to a later model aluminum, rear hubs are swapped to multi speed or disc brakes, the handle bars and stems are upgraded, etc. Wheeew. Getting the picture? For a noob to the bicycle world, like me, it can be a bit daunting at first.

Here's the question(s)... So, the frame would limit you to tire/wheel size both in width and diameter but, what about crank or steering head bearing? Is there a "one size fits all" or maybe there's just three main sizes or designs? Heck I don't know, perhaps there are companies that make adapters so anything will work? I would think that in regards to handle bars or stem diameters there are a couple of things to look at but pretty straight forward in that arena...? When it comes to the rear hubs a person can "spread" the frame a bit to accommodate a variety of combinations, right?

I'm just a guy that has worked on [and own] many different hotrods/muscle cars/old trucks/motorcycles with a full compliment of tools and resources to get things fabricated and rolling down the road under their own power. When it comes to bicycles, I'm looking for a little assistance and insight to keep me out of trouble. Trust me, I have plenty of mistakes laying around (30+ years worth) already, LOL.

Thanks guys for the shared knowledge and expertise. Internet links welcome too.

Clark

3791191476_1f4a348fde_b.jpg

ya kinda have to just jump in head first..if it was put together, it can be taken apart and if ya take it apart, it can be put back together!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I know the frustration of ordering something only to find its the wrong size. The springer forks Ive ordered have longer-than-usual steer tubes that can be cut to size. Looks like a Murray made frame you have with a good sized head tube . A vintage ladies bikes fork would probably fit where a mans vintage (non-Murray) may not, lengthwise. I just keep 50+ bikes in pieces and swap
parts back and forth!! :D

There's a few different steering head sizes. Threaded tube, as seen in your picture, is mostly universal, except a finer thread series on some. (Schwinn I think, maybe english too :? ) Inner diameters fit different stems(handle bar clamp), mtb stems often won't go in older forks. the outer tubes where the bearing races mount have a couple of different sizes but most are the same. Un-threaded headsets are larger diameter tubing, I have seen at least 2 sizes. 1 piece cranks occasionally vary in width, some times you can remove or add a spacing washer to use on a different application, also the different thread bit. There are a couple of different conversion to 3-pc crank axle sets on the market. Traditional bars are usually swadged out in the center to an inch, but some atb/bmx are 7/8 all the way, so you need the corresponding stem. I don't like spreading dropouts (or squeezing them down) more than they will spring back from, but it can be done to some extent. If you can work on a Chinese moped or an old English motorcycle without something breaking, you have all the skills that you will ever need. :mrgreen:

Sleeper,You got a real good bike for building a project!

I'd say that most all parts on it are standard easy to get sizes.You can easily make that bike anything you want.

Good Luck with it and HAVE FUN!

Hey Sleeper,Is your frame stamped CHAIN BIKE CORPORATION near the rear axle? Those funky dropouts look kinda familiar.

Development of the site began in 1969. The Facility began manufacturing bicycles in 1971 as the Chain Bike Corporation, which was later renamed Ross Bicycles. Operations up to 1985 consisted of metal plating, spray painting, metal working, and assembly and warehousing related to bicycle manufacturing. The Facility ceased bicycle manufacturing in 1985 and began producing metal ammunition boxes, which included similar production processes. By approximately 1987, manufacturing ceased entirely, and the Facility was reportedly abandoned in 1988

Thanks for the link MagicRat. It looks as though the frames are very similar between you and me but they are different... that's not to say interchangeability is different though. Like Markm mentioned, it's a Murray frame - I'm 99% sure of that...

Keep the thoughts and insights coming guys, much appreciate the response thus far.

... btw, I love the Cherry Poppin Daddies.

Clark

Back