Is England getting even (Brooks)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a B67 touring Brooks Saddle. It said there was a breakin period....20 miles or so , and then this was going to be the most comfortable seat you could own. I installed mine , and went for a cruise around my neighborhood with my two brothers. I made it about two blocks and discovered this was the hardest seat I have ever ridden on. Now I dont know if its just me , but any .....any other seat I own is more comfortable, especially the big puffy one from Target. The next day I tried again ,and got a block before the pain got to me. I'm pretty sure the only way I will ever make 20 miles on it ,is if I stapel some rubber foam to it . or sit on a bag of marshmellows. Has anyone else had this problem?

I have been riding mine Champion Flyer for about 3 weeks now. It is not cushy as a new cruiser seat but I do like it. I haven't read anywhere about only 20mile break in. Here is Sheldon's article about leather saddles. http://www.sheldonbrown.com/leather.html (about halfway down) he says upto 200 miles.

Have you been using Proofhide or some other conditioner. I did my once new and about once a week so far. I will probably stop in one or two more applications and then once every 5-6 months.

Shoot sheldon said 2000 miles. I better put a motor on my clone. I'm thinking the soak it in neetsfoot oil trick. That sounds quicker. What was I thinking. Gee I'm glad i bought the $83 shipped instead of that really expensive B135 one.They do look good in the pictures. I think I will rent mine out for photo shoots. ha ha

haha, i got the b135
bike_01.jpg

yea its not the most comfortable thing to ride at first, give it some time and condition it, i love mine and its super comfy to ride :p

sorry to quote myself but i this this would help you.

I use some boot silicone to treat my brook saddle. i've learned that trick from an old bike mechanic back when i was working in a shop.

the trick is to warm up the leather buy putting it in the oven(lowest temp) for a few minutes..once its hot the leather pores are open and you apply the silicone, you do it 3 to 5 times...I've been doing that with every leather saddle I had over the years and it has always worked great, it soften the leather and it require less maintenance over time compare to using the brooks profide stuff...

and if you just dont like the seat i can buy it from you....

I know the English are still mad at us over that tea deal. I figured these seats are how they are getting even. My rear may never be the same. I am going to try softening it. I'll give it a try,because there are so many of yall that stick by them.

I'm with you, I've got one out in the garage broken in as they get, put it on a bike every couple of years just to remind myself how bad those brooks type leather saddles used to feel. I think it's maybe some sort of scam, one of those communal suck experiences where everyone hypes it up just so other people join in the suck, a chain suck if you will.

My Velo saddle on my cruiser is the most comfortable saddle I have ever ridden but now it's broke and i've been thinking about getting a Brooks after all the good stuff I have heard - so this thread is a bit of a surprise! I'd love to hear more opinions.

I'm seriously considering one myself. I'm torn between the B17 and the B66. They are pricey though...esp since everything I've bought for my project so far is less than what either of those seats cost.

But darn, those seats looks fantastic! :D :D

I think they are all about the same ,just differant spring configurations. If I had it to do over again I would go with a B135. It looks like it has the most springs.

I vote the marshmallows

Use the Jet puffed ones, they give you extra comfort but shift around alot more
But the Mini ones (that you use for cocoa) Cover more of a circumference, and gets into the tight spots in your seat and buttox

Im sorry...its 1:00, im kind of tired

it's actually your arss that gets broke in. i had a 10 year old seat like that - it was hard as a rock, but i got used to it . . .

Back