Is it worth it???

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lads,

I've been a fan of the Monarch style springer setup for a while now, and as usual, it's easier to find Kryptonite over here than it is to get good unique-ish bike parts. So I decided to have a look across international waters and found that Spookytooth Cyles are willing to ship out a pair... Now, they're asking around $120USD for them, and by the time I get them out here it's gonna cost around $180USD. Apparently they are the new revised design and I can't find anywhere else that will supply them, so I guess they're my only option. My question is - particularly to the blokes from Oz - do you guys think this is over the top? I've considered trying to make my own set, but that's gonna take AGES... If anyone can share a thought it would be much appreciated! Cheerz. :D

I don't know about the revisions. I love the style too, and what I have noticed some people doing to eliminate the problem that existed, is to replace the main fork with a better one. It seems pretty expensive for what it is, but good modern suspension forks are $300.oo or more. Tough call, guess it depends on your financial state. :|

dont bother it is a POS i have seen two flat out fail in a violent way and many others on here have has serious issues installing them at all. make your own :mrgreen:

Thanks for the help fellas, I knew the general feeling toward these repro's was fairly negative, but I thought that was due to the earlier design. Apparently they have been "upgraded", but who knows, right? If anyone knows of an original set up for grabs I'd be quite interested, but until then it's generic mundane awsomeness for me... :cry:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Keep an eye on Ebay - quite often original Monark springers will be listed. I've also seen replacement springs listed. Patience and persistence are required to find some of the harder to acquire parts. Check ebay's "ending soonest" listings daily and eventually you'll find what you are looking for. And make sure the springer is the correct gender - head tubes for girls bikes are longer to accomodate the frame bars which also makes the fork tube on the springer longer. Some bike shops (I have one 4 blocks up the street) have the die to thread the longer tube down farther making it usable for boys' bikes. Our local shop charges $15. Finding the parts you want is part of the journey - have fun with it.

sensor said:
only problem with trying ebay is hes in Australia and alot of sellers wont ship internationally or if they do the shippings more than the product

I just figured since he's already "looking across International waters" that this would be an option. Then there is also the possibility that some nice RRB person could ship it to him. No problems - just solutions. Maybe someone else can come up with some other alternatives.

Thanks again for the help lads. I have been eyeing Ebay, bike shops, junk shops, etc and I have to say that out here those setups are quite literally unheard of, except by those that are right into it, ie: the blokes on this site. Funnily enough you do now and then come across them on Ebay America, but yeah, it's either uneconomical to ship or the blokes selling them are not willing to ship them over here. :cry: But alls good I suppose, I might give a couple more weeks of scouring the bay but I don't hold much hope. You're right Roadmaster, patience & persistence are the key to getting this sort of stuff, but it does get tiring when basically everyone I speak to over here for the last year honestly has no idea what I'm talking about. I'm even considering coming over to Crazy Country just to have a look arond. Cheers anyway lads, appreciate the words. :D

Road Master said:
sensor said:
only problem with trying ebay is hes in Australia and alot of sellers wont ship internationally or if they do the shippings more than the product

I just figured since he's already "looking across International waters" that this would be an option. Then there is also the possibility that some nice RRB person could ship it to him.
youre right.....i didnt think of that while my fingers were walking :oops:

Back