Is there any DEAF RRBM in here?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Feel uncomfortable to share? Maybe this will help.

Im not DEAF but I'm deaf. I born deaf that grew up in mainstream schools. My first navie language was america sign language (ASL). Until age 12, I had to change my navie language to educate system which is Signing Excatly English for schooling reason. Basically I grew up in hearing world entrie my life. At age 21, I finailly found my culture to regain my navie language back to ASL. I always love bikes entrie my life and finailly build my first bike Spyder Monkey last august. Anyway, I would love to watch my people building the bikes and will try help out. :wink:

You may be the one and only on here.

I think I get your name on here? All good, most of us probably wouldn't know how to communicate with ya face to face, but thanks to the computer and internet we can get past that easily.

Im a ATP (accessibility technology professional) and though what I do doesn't apply to you I'm sure, some of my training touches on aids for hearing impaired individuals. And like most others I don't know much about what devices you may use to communicate. I do know that the tablet and such devices, along with text to speech software has made communication for many of my customers much more easily attainable.

Peatbog said:
I'm not deaf, but I in the past I was attending a church that had a sign language program because there was many deaf people attending the church. I was learning sign language pretty well and while I couldn't yet sign real well, I could understand a lot of what people were signing. It was interesting because the deaf seemed to use an abbreviated language. For instance, I might ask someone, "Do you want to go to the store with me?" But a deaf person would probably just sign something like "Store. Me?" or something like that. It was interesting because I realized how different the language was in actual use.

That was a long time ago though, and I don't even remember the letters any more.

Thats correct. Its more visble language than audio. If I were signing this sentence in excatly english "My nose is running" will cause most deaf peopel confusing because to them nose literally have its own legs and is running. Properly way say it in ASL would be " me liquid leaking nose me."

Really? I always been wanting to go deaf church.

Onewheelsqueel said:
You may be the one and only on here.

I think I get your name on here? All good, most of us probably wouldn't know how to communicate with ya face to face, but thanks to the computer and internet we can get past that easily.

Im a ATP (accessibility technology professional) and though what I do doesn't apply to you I'm sure, some of my training touches on aids for hearing impaired individuals. And like most others I don't know much about what devices you may use to communicate. I do know that the tablet and such devices, along with text to speech software has made communication for many of my customers much more easily attainable.

Aw man, I'm only one at everywhere. Lol :lol:

I have tried software programs before. In fact, I'm better off without it because it forcing people to learn. At my work, they tried buy green dragon or something software that interpreter typing by listen your voice but voice has to be prefect. No accent. My supervisor is very redneck and computer always made fun of his accent. Lol. I'm currently supervising and training two new hearing person at work. They said to me that I could be a good supervisor because they learnt so much from me when they had three months training with other preson who is above me doesnt teach them. With me within three days, they can take care of themselves.

By the way, the differance between DEAF and deaf are.

DEAF is DEAF person who grew up in deaf culture and at deaf instructional school entire their life. And they are proud to be DEAF.

deaf is a person who just turned into deaf or a deaf person who grew up in hearing world.

Peatbog said:
freddyfingaz said:
Really? I always been wanting to go deaf church.

The church I went to had a group of maybe 20 deaf. So the church trained anyone who wanted to learn sign language so those volunteers could interpret the sermons and everything else that was going on. We were being taught to interpret word for word what was being said, but I noticed that was not how the deaf communicated with each other. They probably thought we were clueless. Well, we were I guess.

However, I left that church because of a youth minister that I had some concerns about. I did not want my children around him. Sadly, my fears were later confirmed about that person. I did miss learning sign language however. It was very interesting learning another language.

Sound cool.. thats suck you had to leave.

In my personal life I don't see many DEAF or deaf people. Sometimes in public. The ones I see at work usually have many other diagnosis, most with profound retardation and such. A hearing impairment is usually one of their lesser problems.

Nice to see ya don't let it define you, limit you, or stop you. For me it's a big inspiration to see these things, I help my customers and that's how they help me.

Onewheelsqueel said:
In my personal life I don't see many DEAF or deaf people. Sometimes in public. The ones I see at work usually have many other diagnosis, most with profound retardation and such. A hearing impairment is usually one of their lesser problems.

Nice to see ya don't let it define you, limit you, or stop you. For me it's a big inspiration to see these things, I help my customers and that's how they help me.

Thank you.

Your welcome. I just think it's sometimes to easy for people to let themselves be limited by by things out of their control, sometimes little things that shouldn't.

Onewheelsqueel said:
Your welcome. I just think it's sometimes to easy for people to let themselves be limited by by things out of their control, sometimes little things that shouldn't.

I dont understand. I'm guessing you were trying say is things shouldn't stopping us doing things but there are certainly things we just cant do?

My son has a speech delay along with some other gross motor delays ,so we did use some sign with him until age 5/6. He is now 12 and sometimes I find myself still signing "wait" when he interupts a conversation. I just learned enough at the time to serve his needs at the time. We also used PECS and some other alternative communication systems.

That people let things stop them from achieving what they could, when all it would take is maybe more persistence, or a different way to accomplish that goal. I work with people in wheel chairs, and a lot of them have learned to adapt and overcome to accomplish what they need to do. But I see fully capable people give up before ever getting any where they could. For me to see someone try so hard and achieve goals no matter how big or small, it is a inspiration to me and makes me try harder for what I want to do with my life. That's all. Lol

Yea, people out of there does limiting disability people by assuring they cant do. For example, its extremely hard to find a job in machine shop because inexperience managers was concerned about their safety. In fact, my manager was so impressed with my remuse and left a message said he want me work next day. When I replay phone call him. He said he will call me back. One week later I called again... three weeks later I emailed. He relpied I have some concerned about my deafness. Thats it, I walked to his office and told him I want job to his face. He finailly hired me and put me swing shift where there is no supervisor or person that training me. Basically they dumped me there with ten min typing explains. I pretty much trained myself and still have this job for three years. That wasnt easy to work with closed mind people.

cman said:
My son has a speech delay along with some other gross motor delays ,so we did use some sign with him until age 5/6. He is now 12 and sometimes I find myself still signing "wait" when he interupts a conversation. I just learned enough at the time to serve his needs at the time. We also used PECS and some other alternative communication systems.

I love when parent are trying their best rather do nothing

Onewheelsqueel said:
That people let things stop them from achieving what they could, when all it would take is maybe more persistence, or a different way to accomplish that goal. I work with people in wheel chairs, and a lot of them have learned to adapt and overcome to accomplish what they need to do. But I see fully capable people give up before ever getting any where they could. For me to see someone try so hard and achieve goals no matter how big or small, it is a inspiration to me and makes me try harder for what I want to do with my life. That's all. Lol

Very true.

I got my first machine job because the owner feels Christianity to hire disability and forced supervisor to training me. My old supervisor hate me and tried get me fired for several times. Owner refuse let me get fired. Thats where I got the real machines experience from cuz supervisor always on my neck.

cman said:

I know what you're talking about, I have a son who is autistic, so PECs and signing was all he had till about a year ago, he just turned 9 this past year and is now beginning to speak much better, but conversation is a whole nother animal...Peace

Peatbog said:
Freddie, you're a machinist? That is cool. I was a machinist for decades. That isn't my main job now, but I still do some machining nearly every day.

I have a son with a handicapped arm (short) and hand (partly missing and partly non-functional). Sometimes it is difficult to get people to accept that he is just another "people."

Technically I'm operator on my sheet. I do set up when dayshifter is sick or busy. I also fixing set up bugs and troubleshooting machines. Mostly running parts tho.

Back