Island Cycle Supply- Minneapolis? Ladies Bike Find

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spent the morning today hitting a big (60 +) string of neighborhood garage sales. I didn't find one old bike for sale or even one visible in anyone's garages. I was pretty disappointed. Then on the way home I stopped at an estate sale less than a mile from my house and found this.

5380423e99906ec7e3c4c6962cdb6b6d_zps6232d083.jpg

6d0ae7644405a858a8433985964f602f_zps6957e832.jpg

Despite it being a ladies bike I was pretty pleased since I hadn't seen an old bike all day and I had a bunch of money burning a hole in my pocket. Unfortunately they ad it priced way to high at $65. :shock: I have no idea where they came up with that valuation. A salesperson approached me and told me that everything over $50 was 30% off which would have put the bike around $45. I asked him if that was the best he could do on it and he acted kind of offended telling me it was a good price and that there were lots of people interested in it. I gave it some thought, looked around the rest of the sale and then checked it out some more. While I was waiting for the guy to come back over and talk to me a woman that worked there was passing by and said, "Make an offer if you want". I offered her $30 and she said sure. I really wanted the first guy I talked to to see me buying it and to hear I got it for $30 instead of the $45 he was insistent upon. :mrgreen:

I'd never heard of Island Cycle before. I assume it was made by one of the big companies and his particular bicycle shop just put their badge on it. Anyone recognize anything on it to help me ID it?

I also thought it was extremely weird that the rear fender has a series of small hoes drilled near the edge on both sides running most of the length of the fender. I can't figure our what those are for.

Other weird things- Lobdell's men's seat and Schwinn grips.

Not a bad find to salvage the morning's 'hunting trip'.

After a little research I will concur that it looks like a Snyder built bike. Specifically, I think the paint scheme looks very similar to some Rollfast models I've seen.

I will look it over more closely this afternoon.

I still believe the chainguard, seat and probably the handlebars and grips are off something else.

Nice Find, and shrewd bargaining.
If I was at the sale at the same time and you walked away from it, you would have seen me leaving with it at $45. I guess I'm in a different market (same budget though) and the value would work for me.
That saddle would be on one of my bikes instantly and the rest would be sold here for an extra few bills.
Neat old bike, badge and parts. Good find enjoy.

Just did a little more looking. Serial number reads,"24EH" and then under that "7304". According to my knowledge of Snyder built bikes I would call this a 1942 model that Island rebadged from a Rollfast. That would explain the blackout crank and sprocket.

I bumped into this page doing a search for Island Cycle Supply. I worked at a couple of local bike shops back in the 90s, and at that time Island Cycle Supply was something of a warehouse / intermediate seller of bike parts. Regular Joes couldn't buy parts there, but all the local shops would buy from there (mostly for special order / low volume parts). I don't know if they are still around or not, they don't have a website that I can find - although if they are still filling the same niche I wouldn't necessarily expect them to. I never saw their physical location but I understood they were in Minneapolis somewhere.

That said, I don't know what they were doing in the 40s, or if the Island Cycle from that era was even related to the one of the same name from the 90s.

Back