J.C. Higgins Flightliner Build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought some of you guys might enjoy seeing the progress of my 1950's J.C. Higgins custom....first time bike builder let me know how I'm doing! Saw this bike at an auction, fell in love with it and took it home for the bank breaking sum of $1.00....
Bike4.jpg

Bike1.jpg

Bike2.jpg

Bike3.jpg

WOW!

Yep you caught me....I'm a cabinet maker! I'm going to be using the original wheels, and some vintage looking all white tires...they will be here tomorrow...

More work today on the Flightliner, fabricated a bracket and a couple straps to mount the gas tank behind the seat. Tank is from an old 1950's Clinton engine....I also have an air filter from it which I'll also be installing.
p_00181.jpg

p_00184.jpg

Saw this bike at an auction, fell in love with it and took it home for the bank breaking sum of $1.00....

see that,s what i hate :x about auctions when your tryin to get a good deal and people get into the moment and the price just goes out of this world ! oh well not bad for $1.00.. :wink:

Excellent idea on the gas tank man. Will it get good fuel flow looks pretty close to level with the carb. Just guessing, i dont really know what im talkin about. Ive been working on my Schwinn American motor bike project and still dont have it the way i want it :D

Please excuse my mess...too cold to work out in my shop today! Got one tire installed...it is rubbing a little, I'll have to raise the rear fender a bit...but I'm loving the look of the tires already!

p_00186.jpg

this build is sweet! love the color combo. when i get one of my own, thats the color combo im going to paint it. :mrgreen:

Got some more work done tonight...tomorrow I'm going to try to get the rear tire a little more clearance between it an the fender...Not bad for a first time builder!

p_00189.jpg

I did some more work on the higgins today, made this vintage looking air filter and installed the tail light. The filter is from an old clinton engine that I cut down and modified to fit. The tail light I found at rural king, I had to install a new socket, 6v bulb and do some sanding on it to get it to match the contour of the fender....take a look!

p_00206.jpg

p_00207.jpg

Soooo close to being done...just need to tidy up the wiring and the cables, then recheck all the fasteners, then maybe a test drive on sunday!

2.jpg

Back