JC Higgins, girls

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I'm enjoying looking at all the old bikes and customs on this site. This girls JC Higgins was my Aunt's and has been in an old barn for over 40 years. I'm planning on knocking the loose rust off it with some sand paper, putting on some new whitewalls, then let the wife ride the thing. It'd be great to have fresh paint, but I'm kinda diggin the rust. Thanks Admins, for the cool site and forum.

Welcome! Nice old bike! It looks like a JC Higgins Flightliner from the early '60s

WELCOME im restoring a flightliner just like that one right now, they were 1961-63 models incase you wondered, so the 40 years guess is almost dead on :)

Thanks for identifying the bike for me guys. I'm trying to decide which way to go with it. Keep it original, or loose the fenders, rack and chain guard. I can sure get plenty of ideas from this forum.
@CCR
I've been searching for pics of your flightliner on the forum. Have you posted any?

gettin ready to post pics, i was waiting to make sure i had all the "right" parts before i actually started on it getting it back into shape. may be able to get some up tonight if i can. i do have some older photos of my mother in laws. the one im trying to recreate

mitzibike1.gif

mitzibike2.gif

mitzibike3.jpg

heres a couple nice ones, i was wrong on the starting year :oops: , they came out in 59

63searsflightliner.jpg

59jchigginsflightliner.jpg

10aa_12.jpg

0205_12.jpg

0715_12.jpg

7eee_1.jpg

heres what im starting with, its a later year 24" spaceliner and basically im robbing the parts from it to transfer to the earlier style frame, the frame design changed after 63 and these frames wont accept the tank style of the ones pictured above, the upper tubes are straight when they need to be curved instead.

searsspaceliner.jpg

i got a frame off kingplinker to do the swap over to and a tank from yeshoney. ill try to snap some pics later of the rest of the pieces.

Back