Just a quick question for everyone

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this subject was broached on another message board that I belong to and has sparked quite the debate.

Which type of welder do you use (stick, mig, tig, etc) and which do you feel does a better job for welding frames and the like?

WHY!? WHY WOULD YOU START THIS HERE!?!?!?!

No matter if it's a bike site or car site or 4x4 site or scrapbooking site (not really) people get real opinionated about their welders.

I use a wire feed gasless welder. If anyone calls their gasless wire feed a MIG, they are incorrect.

Is this the best welder for bikes... no, but it's cheap and it's all I've got and I'm going to make the best of it. My welds are ugly and it spatters like crazy (flux core wire does this) but my welds are solid and I trust them.

TIG is awesome and expensive (expensive and cheap are relative terms, but according to my wallet it is expensive), but it makes pretty welds, however, the high heat can warp stuff.

MIG is great, not as price as TIG, cleaner than my wire feed, not as clean as TIG.

Stick welder... just use what you got.

We have brazers on this site that swear by brazing.

We will never EVER EVER agree here.

Will I ever upgrade from my wirefeed? Probably not, it's small, quick and easy, wire is cheap, plug it in anywhere and it does what I need it to do... make/modify bikes.

I agree totally!!! I use a MIG just becuase I have access to one at work but if I didn't I would buy a flux core wire feed for home use 110 volt small easy to weld steel bike frames. Besides last time I was working on my bike no one was pulling up offering me a spot at SEMA for my lasted project.
1.I think it comes down to what your most comfortable with.
2.What you have.
3. How much you want to spend

yoothgeye said:
TIG is awesome and expensive (expensive and cheap are relative terms, but according to my wallet it is expensive), but it makes pretty welds, however, the high heat can warp stuff.

I dont agree with this statement... TIG allows the welder to better control the heat. Sure if you crank it up and dont know what you are doing you can warp some stuff, but out of all the welding methods mentioned here... TIG is the only one that keeps the heat tightly concentrated.

different people have different preferences.

But yeah... this topic has also been beat like a dead horse.

Learn how to weld and then you will know which welder/method you like.
Everybody is different and has a different preferences once they start welding.

Back