Justin's Bicycle Shop, Open For Charity!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KJV said:
one of these days, you might get back to building;
your bikes. :p

I sure hope so, I'm trying to figure out when I'm going to have time to build my build off bike. Last year I stayed up late to build, but I'm really not ready to do that this year. Maybe I'll set up a velvet rope in the yard and work inside of it and the neighborhood kids can come and watch me build and I can instruct them while I work on how to fix their own bikes. That's called empowerment!

Or you could use them as slave labor!

OK, without getting into too much detail, the one "customer" I have that comes all the time has had a life that 99% of us could never imagine. I am privileged to the information from church. Trust me, it's been horrible and it's still really bad. He keeps his chin up, but only being in 5th grade, he really shouldn't have to deal with this. He's the one that I gave the frame to and he brought it back and we fixed his bike. I've given him 2 mountain bikes and a road bike and 2 of those bikes have returned to me. He's a good kid and he always asks me about helping him make a special bike for him. I decided tonight after dinner that I would do something for him.

I remembered a frame I had hanging up on the wall, just a cheap BMX frame that I had primered almost a year ago and then left for dead. Inspired by a King Sting that someone did up in "rasta" colors and knowing I had some red, yellow, and green in the shop I went out and got to spraying:

SAM_0566.jpg

He's been wanting something different so while looking for wheels and tires I grabbed an 18" wheel tire off of a mini OCC Chopper, found the chrome fork from the bike originally, and some chrome bars:

SAM_0568.jpg

I mounted a 20x3 West Coast Chopper tire on a rear straight laced rim I found, but the chainstays wouldn't let it happen and I wasn't going to modify the frame after just painting it, so I looked some more and I came across a brand new tire I bought last week. It's a Mongoose "flame" tire that was on clearance at Walmart for $4, it was the only one I could find and surprisingly it doesn't match the flame tires that come on the bikes stock, so it actually looks different:

SAM_0567.jpg

I have a 1 piece crank and chainring that have already been painted with the dark gray hammer finish paint, so I painted a stem to match. I have a set of green foam grips that will tie in the green from the back, back to the front. Just gotta pull out a brake, grab a seat, and some pedals (maybe a chain too, haha) and this bike will be ready for him.

He stopped by and I showed it to him, he's really excited, I told him he would have to take good care of it, not "modify" it (trust me on this one), and keep the brake on it. I'm excited to see how this comes out!

So much for the 2 bikes in the shop I'm working on for myself, I walked circles around them gathering parts for this quick build.

As i have said before, good for you. We need more like ya.

Peatbog said:
The fact that he has a place to come too and get away from it all for awhile has got to help him tremendously. There is probably a reason he comes to you all the time, and bikes might just be his excuse but not be the real reason. Keep up the good work.

You hit the nail on the head, I had this pegged a while back, he likes bikes, but he likes that I "put up" with him. I always wish I could do more for him, so I'm hoping this will go a long way since this bike is specifically being made for him instead of me just giving him more leftovers.

The worth of your work will not be judged by the coolness of the bike, or even teh smile on the kid's face, but in the hereafter! Keep it up!!!

Love the bike, the idea, and most importantly what you are doing for the kid....and I don't mean building a bike! He'll remember this for a looooooong time!

"....to the least of these......"

SDG
Brett

Clear coated the frame and installed the crank, forgot that when we painted the crank the chrome was good on the chainring and we left it chrome and just painted the crank arms with the hammered finish, this is coming together well. I found the correct headset bearings and have them soaking right now. I would have done more, but then I discovered that my son had put sand in my daughter's hair and I had to REGULATE!

SAM_0573.jpg

Yellow shows up a lot better in this photo.

It's starting to look like a Buffalo Soldier!

I believe that what you are doing is great an most of the people would not be intrested in sueing you an if they do then they are not very Christian we all have a talent an as good Christians we should use them to help others in need

Peatbog said:
Ah, the old sand in the sister's hair bit. At least he knows how to be a proper brother.

Hopefully, the sister screamed for all she was worth and made it seem much worse than it really was. That would be proper also.

Actually she didn't say anything, I noticed some "pollen pods" in her hair and went to wipe them out and sand fell everywhere. She was cool with it, haha.

Alright, after naps, going to pick up big sister, and setting the church up for AWANA, I came home and started working again. The kid I was making the bike for came over and I let him help. I was using parts on hand, but didn't skimp, I used a brand new in the box rear tire, a lightweight stem (compared to one just like it that was solid steel instead of aluminum), brand new in the package grips, brand new bar ends, picked a nice chain from my pile of chains, a really nice seat off of a BMX I recently actually paid for, and pulled a set of pedals off of one of my WCC choppers so that I wouldn't have to give him plastics.

I gave the bike a quick run down the street, it's solid and a smooth rider, I also told him it was fast, which once planted in his head will go a long way. He rode off and I was like "CRAP! I forgot to get a photo!" I called him back from the end of the street, he came riding back with this look on his face like "Is he taking it back now?" :( I pulled out the camera and he was happy to pose and then took off again.

SAM_0578.jpg

SAM_0579.jpg

SAM_0580.jpg

PRICELESS!!!!!!

Back