Kansas Fried Cruiser... more stuff 7/09/09

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Kansas Fried Cruiser... my first build

kfc_colonel_circle.jpg

thatismytruck said:
i remembr seeing a episode of little house on the Prairie where the olsens want into the fast food business i cant remember what it was but they did not like it then at the ending cornel senders comes along ask them if they like to turn hotel resuraunt into a fried chicken bussiness they turned it down
:mrgreen:

wow that looks cool!and maybe the camera doesnt like the bike? :lol: i like it though, it looks really nice.

You went and put 2 wheels on it so you would be like everybody else. But that's OK. The rest of the bike is what looks the best. Nice bike.

love the "paint" tricks really glad to see raw metal becoming cool it leaves nothing to hide. cool bike cant wait to see this one done.

Years ago there were a lot of guns that were "flame blued". A gunsmith showed me how to do it. You can get very consistent color if you just barely immerse the part in oil and heat it that way. The oil acts as a buffer. The brighter you polish the part before you heat it the deeper the blue becomes. I've only done screws and not sure if this method would be practical with a frame. My 2-cents. B607

I definetly had to "play" with the surface, especially the chrome. It seemed like it wouldnt change colors at all unless I roughed up the surface first. plus it took quite a bit of heat to finally get it to turn colors.

The frame on the other hand took a lot less heat, of course I stripped all the paint off and polished it up with a roloc scotch brite on a 90 degree die grinder. You probably notice the "mottled" effect of the color. I wanted it that way, but im sure if you wanted the frame completely blue, its definetly doable with just a torch. Just gotta heat it evenly.

7481.jpg

Re: Kansas Fried Cruiser... 4/4 update, new pics

Ok so I decided it was time to get this sucker done, Well there are still some minor details to take care of, but for the most part it is completed.

On to the pics...

bike11.jpg

bike17.jpg

bike18.jpg

bike19.jpg

bike20.jpg

bike22.jpg

bike23.jpg

bike14.jpg

Re: Kansas Fried Cruiser... Done! new pics 4/4

While I may have called it "done" it really wasnt... I had a few details to complete.

First thing is that I wanted a setback seatpost, so I made this one out of a stem I salvaged off of a girls Raleigh bike.
seatpost.jpg

Then I built a mount for the lamp I found earlier, still need to get the guts installed though.
light.jpg

light1.jpg

And finally I decided to get around to building that tank I spoke of earlier. I will end up smoothing it off and painting it.
tank9.jpg

Ok I finally got the tank all smoothed and painted, I also decided to cut down the rear fender and paint it too, I havent taken any pics but I recently entered the bike in the Art of the Bicycle show, Thanks to Aka Locojoe for the pic...

IMG_8339.JPG

I need to get some glamour shots and post this up in the gallery

Back