keeping the shiny stuff shiny

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering what everyone uses to keep their chrome parts from rusting. I was looking at the 144 spoke rims on my Chromeliner, and they're starting to get some specks. Dreading the time involved in cleaning 'em!! I've also noticed that new chrome seems a lot more vulnerable to rusting than vintage. ~Adam
SUNP0017.jpg

Keep it waxed or keep it inside. good luck cleaning those rims. rubbing compound will work to remove what you already have. New chrome is more vulnerable. They use different stuff now I think for health reasons.

I would use the least abrasive possible on those 'buck fourty fours'

You'll need the patience of a Saint and ya need to wax them.

Way Cool lookin' ride.

I swear by aluminum foil on light rust spots like it sounds like you have. It's abrasive enough to get rid of the rust, but not enough to mar the chrome. Just pull about 6 inches from the roll, wad it up and rub. It's cheap and works pretty darn well on the light surface rust.

If you can find something similar, I have this old chemical. Brand name "wisk"... I think, It was meant for removing rust stains from clothing and porcelain sinks and tubs. I just pour some on the rust and it disappears. I could actually make a video; it works that fast. I don't know if there is anything like that now. It has qute a few warnings on the back. It smells really toxic. If anyone knows of something like that now, I would like to get some more.

Back