Klunker rebuild

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ingola

Canadian Collection Connoisseur
Staff member
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://ratrodbikes.com/threads/typhoon-klunker.117226/Built this for the build off rode all winter. Never got to do what I really wanted because of illness and me melting my foot so time to rebuild
IMG_20230305_111403373_HDR.jpg

Winter beat the crap out of it. Stripped it down. Today primed and
IMG_20230409_154449218_HDR.jpg

Wanted to use gold no longer available. So have to do something else. Double bar done.
IMG_20230409_154449218_HDR.jpg

Ewww I forgot about the feet. Didn't we go picking when you were supposed to be laying around, and then the dodge died? Was that the time we got stuck on the side of the road? Lol you earned some of the parts on there...

Paint looks great, kinda harkens to the greatest Schwinn color, coppertone. It's going to be POPPIN!!

Ewww I forgot about the feet. Didn't we go picking when you were supposed to be laying around, and then the dodge died? Was that the time we got stuck on the side of the road? Lol you earned some of the parts on there...

Paint looks great, kinda harkens to the greatest Schwinn color, coppertone. It's going to be POPPIN!!
Yes crawling around in the barn with the burn. The dodge died and you got trouble because I bugged you to get parts. Footband leg are still scared. That was 50 persent caustic soda. Melted my shoe lol

The dodge died and you got trouble because I bugged you to get parts
Lol the look on her face when she pulled up and we were blabbing about our scores...
"Look Honey, old Tange bottom brackets, still in the box! And those Italian wheels!"
She was not amused, but really, she is the one who said I needed a hobby, she said I should get out more and make friends... It is obviously her fault

Lol the look on her face when she pulled up and we were blabbing about our scores...
"Look Honey, old Tange bottom brackets, still in the box! And those Italian wheels!"
She was not amused, but really, she is the one who said I needed a hobby, she said I should get out more and make friends... It is obviously her fault
"Look at his foot" head shake in disgust but we grinned away definitely there fault they said get out more.

Ok here's the problem this is out of my comfort zone
IMG_20230410_110041863.jpg
IMG_20230410_110020283.jpg

I have this chain ring and crank chain ring don't fit what do I need to make it or can I modify the smaller one to hold the bigger one. Has anyone tried or is it a 30 dollar part I need.

what do I need to make it or can I modify the smaller one to hold the bigger one. Has anyone tried or is it a 30 dollar part I need
I don't know of anything that would make that fit. You need to match the Bolt Circle Diameter (BCD) of the crank spider. There's a formula to figure out what the BCD is. If either the ring or the crank is for oval rings, it gets even worse.

Finding the number of teeth and bolts holes is easy. If you don't know your chainring's BCD, measuring it is tricky. So, instead, measure the exact distance (center to center) between 2 adjacent bolt holes. Then find that number on the correct chart below to determine the BCD for your chainring.

Common BCDs include:
130mm (Shimano Road)
135mm (Campagnolo Road)
110mm (Compact Road)
and
104mm, 94mm, and 64mm (Mountain)

Screenshot_20220407-153517~2.png
Screenshot_20220407-153531~2.png

Finding the number of teeth and bolts holes is easy. If you don't know your chainring's BCD, measuring it is tricky. So, instead, measure the exact distance (center to center) between 2 adjacent bolt holes. Then find that number on the correct chart below to determine the BCD for your chainring.

Common BCDs include:
130mm (Shimano Road)
135mm (Campagnolo Road)
110mm (Compact Road)
and
104mm, 94mm, and 64mm (Mountain)

View attachment 228119View attachment 228118
Can I just google my chain rings BCD

can I modify the smaller one to hold the bigger one
Sorry, I missed that the first time, that might work, but only if you keep. Is that a shimano stx crank? That style can't be easily turned into single because of the way the ring you want to keep is bolted onto the ring you want to get rid of. It would be easier with a crank that has bolts like this
IMG_20230317_115336839~2.jpg

You can see that the big ring is just a bolt spacer so it can be cut right outta there. Getting the small one off was the tricky part, it was riveted on behind the arms
IMG_20230331_133720157~2.jpg

Iggy , he used a 3 piece bottom bracket conversion kit. Converts an American one-piece crank BB to be able to use mtb 3 piece crank arms / rings.

Screenshot_20230411-071159_kindlephoto-635675771.png

Iggy , he used a 3 piece bottom bracket conversion kit. Converts an American one-piece crank BB to be able to use mtb 3 piece crank arms / rings.

View attachment 228161
I have one of those and one of these too
But the crank I have is not square tapered it the spindle type which looks like he has there.
truvativ-bmx-to-threaded-bsa-bb-adapter-242899-1.jpg

Back