Krusty Kargo - Update August 1 - Finished!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here's mine. 1937 Malvern Star Express Waggon. Worked for a living all it's life - For the first 25-30 years as delivery bike for a wholesale business in my town, then the next 40 or so carrying plants, pots, fertilizer etc at a local plant nursery. It was fitted with a box originally which was removed for the mesh cage - the front axle was also narrowed to fit down rows of plants and through doorways in the nursery.
I've got a few different ideas for it - maybe a bike shop delivery/breakdown repair bike.....still not sure :? .
Unfortunately the years of hard work and a few years sitting in the weather have taken a toll on the front end. The hubs and rims are beyond repair, the springs can hopefully be saved, but the axle is too rusted.

Here's some pics.

IMGA0646.jpg

IMGA0647.jpg

Cracked frame join.

IMGA0658.jpg

Frame worn from tire rubbing.

IMGA0657.jpg

Re: Krusty Kargo

three words, tricycle rear end!

Good idea 37fleetwood, but this one's gonna stay a 3 wheeler.

My rims. NOS from a LBS. They'll be painted satin black.

IMGA0681.jpg

Front hubs. Suzue harness racing buggy hubs.

IMGA0678.jpg

Can't be too many of those layin around anymore that thing is bad to the bone !

More pics.

Photo of a 1938 catalogue.

001.jpg

Rear hub. NOS Favorit. LBS has a heap of these in 40 hole. The mechanic dug around out the back and found a NOS 36 hole shell.....all for the bargain price of free :D :D .

IMGA0684.jpg

5 minutes of hand polishing with this:

IMGA0683.jpg

Gets this:

IMGA0682.jpg

Wow, some guys are fast :shock: .

I'm still gathering parts and trying to decide on a theme (But I guess that'll happen as the build progresses). I know what the basic look of the bike will be, just unsure of the final direction.
I'm hoping to leave it patina, with a clear coat, but will decide after I make the frame repairs. If it gets painted, it will be flat black, straight over the "texture". My main goal is to spend as little as possible. So far, I think all I will have to buy is paint/clear, bearings and some timber and hardware for the box.

Couple more pics:

Another photo from a 1938 catalogue.

002.jpg

Tires - 26 x 2.4 fronts and 26 x 2.2 rear.

IMGA0685.jpg

Repaired the frame today. All of our MIG welders and Oxy-Acetylene sets are packed away in a container while our new welding and machine shop is being built, so I had to use a small flux-core machine. The job was a bit tricky, as some of the areas to be repaired were very thin, particularly where the tires had worn holes in the frame from rubbing when on full turning lock. I could have spent more time on the finishing off, but decided to leave the repairs obvious - after all, it's called the Krusty Kargo, it is a work bike, and already carries a couple of other scars and visible repairs. I'm going to paint it flat black and the overall look is going to be very ratty.

Wear holes filled.

IMGA0686.jpg

Cracks and join fixed

IMGA0687.jpg

Graylock said:
Still a cool bike. How's the rest of it, bearings and all?

GL

Graylock, unfortunately only the frame (just) and leaf springs are able to be used. Everything else is just too far gone from a combination of a hard working life and being left out in the weather for a few years.

Re: Krusty Kargo - updated 5/5/2010

I love that type of bike! I know I have some similar in a catalogue somewhere, I´ll try to find those pics.
Even thou I would go with something similar to "restoration" or "time period" paint job, I think this one will be one to beat.
The crate you find will be defining, at least is what I think!
Great project! Good luck! :wink:

Re: Krusty Kargo - updated 5/5/2010

sensor said:
thats a great beginning and hats off for something different :mrgreen:

hewey said:
Great project 8)

Thanks guys, I actually got hold of a cantilever frame last August (not easy to get in Oz), and put it aside with plans for RRBBO5......then after I got this, decided to build it instead. I figured there would be plenty of cantilever frames in the build off, but not many 3 wheel cargo bikes.
I then put some MTB tires, bars etc on the cantilever frame (Raleigh RetroGlide) and when I was doing some bombing with friends, hit a big drop-off (it wasn't there last year!!), and broke the aluminium frame where the seat stays join the seat tube :cry: . Even though I can TIG aluminium, I wouldn't trust the repair, so will probably just hang it up as wall art in the shed.

Gdcast said:
I love that type of bike! I know I have some similar in a catalogue somewhere, I´ll try to find those pics.
Even thou I would go with something similar to "restoration" or "time period" paint job, I think this one will be one to beat.
The crate you find will be defining, at least is what I think!
Great project! Good luck! :wink:

I agree Gdcast. I have lots of ideas for the crate, and yes, it probably will be the defining component of the build.

Not much has been done over the last week, but I have managed to get the springs off and apart. Very Krusty :D , but still seem to have plenty of spring in them, so they shouldn't have to be reset. I'll just have to fabricate some new bushes and hangers. More fab work on the front axle/steer tube this weekend.

Spring eye.
IMGA0704.jpg

Re: Krusty Kargo - Update May 14

Cool. Thanks for the pics Gdcast.

Change of plan for the wheels. I got these rims today for a price I couldn't refuse. Nice and beefy. Also picked up a narrower Sun Rim for the rear. With these rims and the cranks I've got, I'm hoping the new look components will be a good mix with the old look frame and crate.

IMGA0707.jpg

Re: Krusty Kargo - Update May 19

Some parts I got today.

IMGA0708.jpg

Just a tease...........This won't appear again until much later in the build :wink: .
IMGA0709.jpg

Re: Krusty Kargo - Update May 28

Small update.
Not much done in the last week or so as I've been out of action with shoulder pain. Wasn't getting better, so I went to the Doc yesterday and I've got tendonitis, so got a cortisone shot and feel great again........he said it shouldn't re-occur (fingers crossed), just gotta go real easy in the gym for a few weeks.
I did a bit of work on the front axle. I had to machine down the steerer tube to remove the old rusted bits of axle, then welded it into a piece of 40mm box tube. The original axle and end plates that hold the stubs, slide neatly into the box tube and they will be welded in the correct position when I get the wheels built (still waiting on spokes to arrive).

IMGA0712.jpg

IMGA0711.jpg

Back