Kulana Moon Dog

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this fresh find on craigslist for $50. I want to flop it from a cruiser to my liking.
mykluanamoondogjy3.jpg

Not bad for $50.

I'd keep the drive train. Since most of NC is hilly, at least what I remember from being a kid, you'll want the lower granny gears for going uphill. A good sized hill can get tiresome on a single speed, they're really meant for short rides on level terrain.

Since the bike is new and probably not scratched up too bad, I would just try and remove the stickers. That or since so many of the components are black, possibly paint the frame a gun metal gray or dark metallic gray and add a chromed front springer and a pair of apehangers. That would give you a flashy black/shiny gray/chrome color scheme.

But the main thing I would do, no matter what the style choice, is angle the nose of the seat so the front part is pointed down a little bit. Otherwise, any ride longer than 10 minutes and I'd lose feeling in parts of me that I'd rather not mention.

And for safety's sake I'd test the brakes before taking the bike on a ride where automotive traffic might be involved. The bike was most likely manufactured in China and probably has lower quality parts, and it may have been assembled here in the states by a big box retail store teenage employee, not a veteran biker or professional bike mechanic. I've heard some real horror stories about x-mart store bikes. The brakes should be tight enough that the levers only travel 3/4 of an inch or so, they shouldn't make contact with the grips when squeezed hard.

theres a local guy with one, he threw on a black wald front basket and a set of chrome ape hangers, i think he ditched the chainguard too but not certain. its always chained up outside the tattoo shop, and catches my eye every time i drive by. fenders dont look bad in my opinion, id keep em black.

GodHatesCleveland said:
Not bad for $50.

I'd keep the drive train. Since most of NC is hilly, at least what I remember from being a kid, you'll want the lower granny gears for going uphill. A good sized hill can get tiresome on a single speed, they're really meant for short rides on level terrain.

Since the bike is new and probably not scratched up too bad, I would just try and remove the stickers. That or since so many of the components are black, possibly paint the frame a gun metal gray or dark metallic gray and add a chromed front springer and a pair of apehangers. That would give you a flashy black/shiny gray/chrome color scheme.

But the main thing I would do, no matter what the style choice, is angle the nose of the seat so the front part is pointed down a little bit. Otherwise, any ride longer than 10 minutes and I'd lose feeling in parts of me that I'd rather not mention.

And for safety's sake I'd test the brakes before taking the bike on a ride where automotive traffic might be involved. The bike was most likely manufactured in China and probably has lower quality parts, and it may have been assembled here in the states by a big box retail store teenage employee, not a veteran biker or professional bike mechanic. I've heard some real horror stories about x-mart store bikes. The brakes should be tight enough that the levers only travel 3/4 of an inch or so, they shouldn't make contact with the grips when squeezed hard.
THanks! So what i have been thinking is maybe a 3 speed hub, because i like the real clean look. I was also wanting to throw some apes on it and maybe even change the seat. I will also probably try to get the stickers off, and maybe make it coaster brake.

Back