Kustom Kruiser Roadsters & 3 inch Tires

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a newbie at this and I just recently bought a Kustom Kruiser Roadster off of ebay. I thought that the frame for this bike was 3 inch tire ready since I have viewed so many pics with KKR's that had fat 3 inch tires on the rear. Much to my suprise when I tried to install my 24X3" Dyno Fireball tire on the rear on the bike it did not fit. After putting it in the dropout the tire would rub the left side of the frame or rub the chain on the other side. Now I am wondering "how do these other guys do it"? I know it can be done, I have seen all these pics of the same bike with fat 3 inch tires installed on the coaster.

The Fireball tire is installed on a 24" 72 spoke coaster wheel. The mechanic at my LBS told me that the hub on the wheel does not support 3 inch tires. He recommended that I shop the bike and they would overhaul the hub (I guess making the axle longer) and they would install spacers that will make it work. Not that I don't trust him but sometimes mechanics can be salesmen if you know what I mean. I want to know is there another way, am I not putting the wheel on correctly or that's how other people are doing it and that just the way it is?

With a 3" tire, you will probably have to replace the coaster hub's sprocket with an offset one, and add spacers to the axle if it's long enough.

Choppers US sells one:
http://www.choppersus.com/store/product ... ide-Tires/

Once you get your frame spaced right, this will complete the puzzle.

FunkyStickman said:
With a 3" tire, you will probably have to replace the coaster hub's sprocket with an offset one, and add spacers to the axle if it's long enough.

Choppers US sells one:
http://www.choppersus.com/store/product ... ide-Tires/

Once you get your frame spaced right, this will complete the puzzle.

Thank you very much! As I said I am new at this so I did not know anything about offset sprockets. I just knew there had to be a way. THANKS AGAIN!!!!!

Back