Lack of Grease in new Pacific Wally World Bike!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Saw this on BikemanforU on youtube today.

Unbelievable! Make sure to go over everything on these bikes if you buy one new or used! :eek:

That guy is awesome—reminds me of Gary Busey!

Yea it's pretty common on all big box store bikes,along with backward stems,flat tires,untrue wheels,misaligned wheels,crooked handlebars and just about anything else wrong you can think of.
When I bought my wal e world Nel Lusso I asked if I could have one still in the box,the guy said sure. So if you buy wal e world ask for one in the box,it just saves time.

Always go through your Targmartademy bikes. They're cheap and make fun platforms for custom builds but remember, they're built by folks who happen to land in that particular department for the day's shift or whatever.

Yea it's pretty common on all big box store bikes,along with backward stems,flat tires,untrue wheels,misaligned wheels,crooked handlebars and just about anything else wrong you can think of.
When I bought my wal e world Nel Lusso I asked if I could have one still in the box,the guy said sure. So if you buy wal e world ask for one in the box,it just saves time.
I agree.. it best buying one in box.. ones in store rack has been ridden on, or part(s) been removed, even yet pinched tubes due to people sit and ride it in the store..

I know most stores have idiots putting their bikes together. I'm not saying I'm not an idiot, but I work at Target and one of my jobs is assembling bikes.
Since I started, we have had very few returns.The ones we've had returned were because of defective parts, not the assembly. But I tell you what, I spend an inordinate amount of time truing wheels on the Magna's and Mongeese. I also defect them out when I can't get them adjusted properly. Happens about once a month. If I know you (or you're really cute and nice to me) I'll grease it up before I sell it. I also have to say it bugs me a little to put them out there with so little grease, but they don't pay me for that.

I know most stores have idiots putting their bikes together. I'm not saying I'm not an idiot, but I work at Target and one of my jobs is assembling bikes.
Since I started, we have had very few returns.The ones we've had returned were because of defective parts, not the assembly. But I tell you what, I spend an inordinate amount of time truing wheels on the Magna's and Mongeese. I also defect them out when I can't get them adjusted properly. Happens about once a month. If I know you (or you're really cute and nice to me) I'll grease it up before I sell it. I also have to say it bugs me a little to put them out there with so little grease, but they don't pay me for that.

Sounds like there is at least ONE Target store that does it right! Where do your defect bikes end up?

7 Days might be a little underestimated.....'Cause when I get those Box store bikes.....they have way more than 7 days rust on them.:grin:

Saturday I picked up a virtually brand new Schwinn Lulu Ladies 5 Speed Cruiser. The chain and derrailleur were all wrapped tightly around the freewheel... and it looked like it was about 7 days old. Went online to research it....and found it is a common problem with the Pacific Built Lulu..

I haven't had it apart yet to figure what went wrong... Is it a case of that many bike buyers don't know you aren't supposed to pedal backwards while shifting, or is there an issue I should be looking for once I get everything straightened out? Every single review page for the bike had at least one and usually more reviews stating that the chain fell off the bike within a day or two of purchase. About half of them were catastrophic failures junking the bike.

At least the chrome didn't have time to rust on this one.

Last edited:
The boss took one look at Lulu and said....How much?? Then, he added that he wanted it coaster brake and single speed equipped, instead of 5 speed hand brake...(Wifey's got an issue with hand brakes) Hmm... I got a sucker on the line I mean customer..:happy::):dance2:

So...Lots of thrashing and parts swappin going on only to discover.....vertical dropouts allow NO chain adjustment. That was fine when it was a 5 speed, I guess. But with the coaster hub in place.....it either is WAYYYY too loose or if I take a full link out, wayyyy too tight.. Now I gotta find a half link to get the chain adjustment right.. and I also need a REAL kickstand instead of the chrome plated wet noodle they used. Not a lick of rust anywhere though.

Latest posts

Back