Lady Elgin

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hey! I've been away from bikes for a while. Been spending my time building old VWs.
I was recently asked to build a girls bike so I found this Elgin Burning Man special...

I have a few questions before I get started. Hope you guys can help.

This is obviously not the original fender. My question here is.. Are the skirt guards usually offset like this when installed properly? (when looking down on them) They seem to fit nicely lower down by the chain guard & chain stay...

Also, I'd like to find another one of these fender braces that wrap around the outside of the fender. Anyone? Were these fender braces stock on Elgin? If not, which brands offered them?

Last edited:
I don't know about the skirts, but those wraparound fender braces look like the ones on JC Higgins bikes. Elgin was the Sears brand before they switched to Higgins after WWII, so......
What's the plan for the build restoration/rat/custom...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Serial # SE 2959 - I'm pretty sure its 1940, but can anyone point me to where I can research this serial number further? I'm ot having much luck. Trying to narrow down the year, and what exactly it looked like new. I'd like to see what type of truss rods it had, and if it came with a drop stand or not.
95FBB72B-FE78-4362-830D-3742DC13D5FD.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Sludge! That Elgin girl is similar, but the differences are that the seat tube is straight and it has hub tensioners where mine doesn't. Other than this two things, its the same bike.

Was the curved seat tube specific to a certain year(s)?

Back