LBS's....? Burned again

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
So I tried a local bike shop again the other day. Thought to myself.hey why not give these guys a shot. Normally I stay clear of the ones around here..mostly because they don't have much and what they do have is crap. So I buy a chopper fork...asked the guy for a clamp to fit it...he says darn..just sold out..but no problem..this type is very easy to find. So to take some of the responsibility ..I should have walked out..but no..I thought no problem..I will find one. And wouldn't ya know..no one has one anywhere. So 1" thread less clamps that are the bmx style are priceless.

Lesson learned...NO MORE LBS's for me. Which won't hurt my feelings..as I say in most of my post's...for a state that has the greatest weather..we
Have the worst bike community .

Anyone have a clamp I can buy?.?.

I have seen both sides if this, the owner may sell 1 1" stem a year, so keeping them in stock isn't worth it when the kids change brands every 6 months!
In the same breath the shop owner should have offered you a deal on ordering one/offered up the shim, something besides, "have a nice day!"
Taking a page from my book, the local bicycle shops sucked where I lived, carried no bmx, cruisers and defanitly no "fun," stuff like skateboards. I opened a shop, not much at first but I offered $5.00 tube replacements and sold bmxs, word traveled fast!

Wow I couldn't imagine. I drive 30 miles in either direction to spread out my business just because I have great friends that own and operate 2 separate bike shops in different cities.

mikeeebikey said:
I have seen both sides if this, the owner may sell 1 1" stem a year, so keeping them in stock isn't worth it when the kids change brands every 6 months!
In the same breath the shop owner should have offered you a deal on ordering one/offered up the shim, something besides, "have a nice day!"
Taking a page from my book, the local bicycle shops sucked where I lived, carried no bmx, cruisers and defanitly no "fun," stuff like skateboards. I opened a shop, not much at first but I offered $5.00 tube replacements and sold bmxs, word traveled fast!

I agree with ou on stocking 1" stems..BUT..if yuou sell the forks..they might want to have products that fit that item. I hate to always talk down on the shops here...but these shops here are either too big and dont care unless you re buying a $5000 road bike...or they just dont have a clue..which i think its both.

1" threadless BMX racing stems are called mini stems - you should be able to pick up a used one pretty cheap

Check the For Sale section at BMXMuseum.com and on eBay

Thanks for all the info on this situation everyone. I did order one from eBay today after everyone gave me some help. As I said..I should have just went eBay in the first place. NO MORE LBS's for this guy. That way I can stop whining and get to building.

I know wholesalers have those. If your LBS can't order one for you, maybe they don't want your business too badly...

Bigcam59 said:
I know wholesalers have those. If your LBS can't order one for you, maybe they don't want your business too badly...

The local bike shops..if you call them that...in this area care about one thing..expensive road bikes. There was one shop on the campus of ASU that stocked tires at one point..now they have NOTHING..no big deal. I like ON LINE shopping better anyway. No tax..usually free shipping..lower prices.

Id like to support local business..but when the business doesnt support you..why return the favor??

Back