lets see some Chopper Forks

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A friend at work is planing on building a cruiser with chopper forks and wants to see some different ideas he's looking a matte black with red wheels and white walls
Here's the frame he's working with (the greenish brown one in the back)
DSCF2877.jpg

There are several ways that have proved popular and successful for my students. First, and possibly the easiest if you have brazing or welding facilities is to use a set of suspension fork crowns/yokes, either single or double. Buy some appropriate diameter steel tube to fit the crown bores, weld dropout plates to the bottom of each steel tube, the offset designed to give appropriate steering geometry and clamp them into the crown- like the orange one below.
orangecustom.jpg

Another method, as shown in the previous post is to extend an existing set of rigid forks using inserts and extension tubes like this one.

2006finished7-1.jpg

My personal preference, if you have the machining facilities is to manufacture a set of custom yokes and legs, these yokes can be made ornate like these on the vampire- the black un in the group pic

IMAG0170.jpg

vampireandchop.jpg

or plain as on my Drifter
IMG_2388.jpg

IMG_2498.jpg

This method has the advantage that you can design in the exact steering geometry that you want as well as the style that you want.

I had one student who integrated the fork legs and handlebars, welding the legs to the bottom yoke and making a split top yoke from ally billet
gcseengineering11.jpg

all i did to make my forks was take a a fork from a 10 speed and cut the legs off and shove the legs of the springer fork into them and the took some flat bar and made some new struts for it........ eventually i want to bend up some tubeing and make a solid pair but i think these work quite well and if you want you can always weld them on...........

Picture120.jpg

Picture121.jpg

Back