Lil' Red

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
stretch said:
DSCN58127.jpg

that would totally look awesome with the new lines like that! granted it would TOTALLY change the entire look of this bike but then it would make it your own! go for it dude!

Easy E

well, i might end up doing that when the bike gets boring on me, but i did get it riding. ill post some pictures later when i notch the frame to fit the chain. :mrgreen: its fits me suprisingly well.

notch the frame?
could ya just move the chain?(wheel/sprocket)
IMG_1120-3.jpg

thats what i figured, if ya lower the seat, your gonna have to stretch it out (considering it fits you now)

i like the new lines also, those under the rear axle are wicked cool! (might even have to use that myself) i'd do it!

that bike is f'n dirty! :D :lol: :D

no, i cant move anything, cuz if i move the derailler im using any closer to the rear wheel, the chain'll rub on the wheel, and even if i move it a little bit in, ill still have to notch the frame to accomidate for the chain bouncin up and down.

i was thinking you'd mount the wheels/sprockets down on the original drop out (inside where the axel would be)

you'd have to run both sides of the chain down there. looks like you have enough room
DSCN5817.jpg

you could probably just mount the axle, and notch 2 pieces of cpvc/rubber/metal tubing.
2 small sprockes from a derailer or a would be better (mounted to seperate bearings)
it will also correct most if not all of your chain bounce.

Hey Stretch, I LIKE IT!.....You started out to make a "copy". But you came up with your own UNIQUE bike. I'm following the thread and listening to talk about a derailleur. I thought I could see a coaster brake arm in the pics. Maybe I missed something (known for that). What is it, free wheel, coaster or multi speed?

oh its a coaster. you didnt miss anything. lol the derailluer is to tension the chain and put it where i want it. heres the bike as it is now. just to lift any confusion.
DSCN5829.jpg

DSCN5830.jpg

DSCN5831.jpg

i just need a little help. the chain keeps coming off the bottom sprocket and rubbing on the derailluer arm. are there any derailluer cogs made of metal i so i can make the teeth longer?

Don't know if it will make a difference. But for the most efficient way, for power, I usually put a string from axle to axle, where it hits the down tube that's where the BB should go. MAYBE if your BB were a lttle lower you might have the space you need NOT to hit the frame..........You should not use tensioners or deraillers with a "coaster brake". Hard braking MAY cause the chain to brake leaving you SOL........Solving problems is half the fun (well maybe not). :wink:
DSCN5817.jpg

hmm.. well bending the forks would push the front wheel out.. getting rid of the problem that the front tire would hit the crank if you peddle and turn at the same time.. :lol: looks like i put the BB about 2-3" too high.. ooh! i could cut out that section with the BB on it, and move it down! :shock: :mrgreen:

it might.. ill bend the fork a tad and go from there. really, the whole problem isnt where the crank is, or peddling.. its the fact that the chain hops off the derailluer. all i need is a different cog with longer teeth so it wont hop off.

stretch said:
it might.. ill bend the fork a tad and go from there. really, the whole problem isnt where the crank is, or peddling.. its the fact that the chain hops off the derailluer. all i need is a different cog with longer teeth so it wont hop off.
Asking for "trouble" if you use a derailleur or tensioner with a coaster brake!
:shock:

stretch said:
whys that?

When you apply rearward (is that a word?) pressure to stop, there is a REAL possibility your chain can break. You could be applying to MUCH pressure to a FEW links (tensioner, derailleur), rather then that pressure being SPREAD out to many links. That's why you NEVER see a manufacturer use tensioners with a coaster brake.............Just lettin ya know.

I still LIKE the bike!

ohh alright. well ive never power-stopped with a coaster, i ride on them too easy to need to, so think that might help with the strain on the chain.

well a bit of an update.. ive tried to ride the thing and its comfortable, but the chain thing just isnt working.. so im going to get a new derailleur and make it more streamlined to the frame, rather than just some junk bolt-on.. ill probably ride up to my LBS and pick up another free junk derailleur to ruin. :lol:

take a sight line and make sure the sprockets are in line. then check the chain tension. looks like the rear axle is to the end of the drop outs so you might have room to take out a link. when I did mine I welded the idler wheel (derailer) on with the axle to the loosest setting in the dropouts. then set final chain tension by sliding the wheel back after mounting the idler wheel.

yeah i got a spare derailleur and welded it to the frame. all i have on it is the bracket that holds the cogs in place. all i have to do is find a more flush-fitting master link that doesnt get caught in the derailleur. ill post pics when i get home from school. oh and i put a different sprocket to help the pedaling.

Back