Looking for info on this Monark Firestone cruiser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing that this is a restoration, but I'm not sure. Does anyone know if this Firestone cruiser looks original? I've never seen it in this color scheme. Is it worth $800?

Monark1_zps899d12f4.jpg

Monark2_zpsa6b46598.jpg

monark3_zps7b056e9d.jpg

I'm far from an expert on this,but that springer doesn't look correct, nor the paint...
No way it's worth even close to $800 IMHO....

I think the springer is OK. Here's a link to a similar bike on the CABE (you may have to scroll down):

http://thecabe.com/vbulletin/showthread ... ght=monark

Definitely a re-paint, although it looks like a professional job. As far as the price- your call. $800. is a little steep, but I'm sure he's got that much invested in the bike. Everyone I know who has one loves it, and loves the ride.

JWM

Thanks for the info!
Funny that you post a link to my friend Junior's Monark collection. I thought that this purple one looked familiar, but didn't realize that it's the same one he has.

Shows what I know...I guess that fork just dont look right on that to me...
Purple doesn't help me much either,I just don't like that color...
Sorry to derail.I'm kinda drunk now....Pretty rare for me.

John, it the same bike, the seller has tried selling this for like 6 month, but the purple is a candy like purple, reprint.
There was another at the swap they guy wanted 1100, he was dead serious. It had no shroud on the neck and was train light front, no paint what so ever.

The seller has since mentioned that it has been restored.
I'm glad that you saw it because I was already losing interest, and the faded paint job tells me that it's not worth it.
Thanks for posting!

John,
Well in that last shot you can see the bike had some small hub caps in the rear, they were taken off, I've seen this bike at least twice at the LBC swap in the last year. Its a nice bike it you like purple metallic and want a boys Monark.
I personally would hold out for an original paint Monark for that much.

Just FYI for y'all, the bike in the OP is a 1953 or 4. Those last two years of Monark ballooners had that different springer, and the squared-off chainguard. I haven't heard any theories why they changed the springer, but likely it was cheaper to build than the other. They did use the twin spring again on the late 50s Bearcat middleweight cruisers though! -Adam

Back