lugged frames vs non lugged

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive been told that lugged frames are better quality and stronger than non lugged frames. if this is so then how come so many companies weld tubes together instead of using joints? is it a manufacturing cost thing? i run into alot of generic ten speed frames that are a lil older, made over sees, and their lugged. but nowadays i dont seel lugged frames very often in the bike shops, could i get some opinions from y'all?

i have a few bikes that ill be using to put together a bike for a freind, i have a choice between a frame made in austria, sold by sears, and its a lugged frame (free spirit model) and a smaller 10 speed frame made in an asian country and not lugged. which would you guys go with assuming both of the frames are very very similar?

fast eddie outty

Im no expert but, i dont think brazed lugs dont require as much heat to put them together, welding would heat the metal up a lot more IMO, might make certain metals weaker. dont think it makes too much of a difference for normal riding but maybe in high quality aluminum or chromoly maybe.

id go with the lugged just because i think it looks cooler :mrgreen:

Well traditionally lugged frames were of better quality, but more os the bikes that you encounter are probably bike boom bikes and the lugs are just for show.
The Austrian sears bikes were made by puch, which was a decent brand., even one of the Ted Williams free spirit bikes was made with reynolds 531 (really good vintage steel). As for the question of quality, it cannot be determined just from lugs or no lugs how good the bike is, lugs were the style for a while and now for the most part they aren't.

kingplinker said:
ok shoot me agan, but I am asking another dumb question! if I cant ask here, then where can I man? What is does "lugged" frame mean? :idea:
115835065_98b804fe76.jpg

Lugs.JPG

wikipedia
google
Sheldon Brown

Back