Make sure your grips are TIGHT

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I learned that the hard way today.

Cleaned up my suburban...Put the grips on...didnt expect to pull too hard on em...because they were all twisty...And i was wrong...i pulled hard...and there went the bike from under me.

Dont want to hear of
anyone getting hurt...

I basically jumped off the bike
put a hole in my new jeans though...whoopdie doo

slacker said:
Hope you only injured your pride. And jeans.

I managed to pull a similar goof. I Left my bike out in the rain. Water seeped under the grips. You know the rest.
I mainly injured my bike :(
Its falling apart right now. The shifter just got stripped, and wont stay shifted...the brake handles are mainly ruined...It will be back on the road in no time

Triggerfish said:
TheFlyingDingo takes flight! :shock: Glad you weren't hurt!
Few kids at school saw me, First hour, "HEY I," "Saw you fall off your bike...i know"

heh

I've done that before...it's never fun. It's even less fun when you're going over a jump.

A couple of years back my buddy finished up his 1980 Cook Brothers cruiser...full on resto, tons of nos parts. He had just about 2 grand into this bike, absolutely beautiful.
First ride, down at South Beach in Miami...he goes to bunnyhop a palm frond lying on the sidewalk and POP! There goes the grip, there goes the bike, there goes my buddy- with the grip still firmy grasped in his hand...both bouncing end over end in the street. He was not a happy camper.

Clean those bars and use a small shot of PB Blaster to glue the grips on.

ArtGeco said:
bmxerpete said:
use a small shot of PB Blaster to glue the grips on.

Are you kidding?
How does PB blast work as an adhesive.
That's counter intuitive.
Please explain.

I use hairspray, but I tend to keep PB blast around,,, not hairspray.
I'm not talking from experience here, but I know PB Blaster is very casutic when it comes to plastic. I would imagine a small shot would cause the grips to become a little gooey and then when it hardens up it would be like glue... Again not speaking from experience with grips, but with PB Blaster. I used to work at a parts store and we had a rep come buy and sprayed a whole bunch into a styrofoam cup and in less than a minute it ate through and we had gooey styrofoam and Blaster all over the counter... It was quite the mess...

Wow- it's been a while since I've been here I guess...

Anyway the PB Blaster does glue the grips to the bars...quite well actually. I use it on all my bikes and between racing, dirt jumping and the skatepark I'm tugging on them pretty hard. Keep in mind these are soft compound bmx grips, I don't know how well it would work on older hard plastic style grips. I used a tiny shot of it on the 70's Schwinn grips I put on my Build Off bike and so far so good.

Pete

What you need to do when putting grips back on is use a mild dish detergent and wash the inside of the grips to get rid of any oils..(from your hands) dry them then put them on and be PATIENT! and let them dry overnite.

Back