Makin an EBay trike cooler! PAINT! 4/17

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the girlfriend wanted me to build her a bike so she could ride with me, or I wanted to build another bike so I used her as an excuse, not really sure on that one. :lol: Anyway, she didn't like the riding position of my "industrial stretch straightbar" and lacks a little balance for slow cruising on something with "relaxed" geometry, so the obvious answer to that was a trike. heck, I really wanted to build one, so I wasn't complaining at all, I'll use my original two-wheel stretch I had designed for her on another project.

First off, if you have no plans of painting an EBay trike, don't buy it from lv-imports, I would need a gallon of touch-up paint to cover up all the chips and what looks like burns in the paint. Still waiting to hear what they plan to do to compensate me for that. :roll:

Well, on with the pictures. I finally got the bike Monday, so I've had two good nights to work on it. The first thing I did was install the 26" drop springer I ordered for it to bring it more down to earth:

Stock:
DSCN4826.jpg

DSCN4825.jpg

Dropped, along with pulling two of the four trike section bolts out to let the rear hinge down to level the bottom tube out:
DSCN4830.jpg

DSCN4831.jpg

Then it was time to address the frame:
DSCN4835.jpg

DSCN4836.jpg

An early rough mock-up:
DSCN4841.jpg

Head tube and top tube modifications:
DSCN4845.jpg

DSCN4850.jpg

DSCN4852.jpg

Making the head tube look good:
DSCN4855.jpg

DSCN4858.jpg

DSCN4861.jpg

Another mock-up:
DSCN4862.jpg

Gusset plans:
DSCN4864.jpg

Again with the mock-up, this time to see the big picture, and to figure out brackets to attach the trike section:
DSCN4868.jpg

If all goes well, I should have the frame done this weekend and I still have to figure out what color she wants it to be and figure out a pinstripe design or something. Need to get the 24x3 rear tires on order, and I'll be making a "trunk" for the rear as well.

Re: Makin an EBay trike cooler!

oh ya, thats nice. i like em trikes too. this will be one sweet ride.

Outlaw :mrgreen:

WOW, i love it.
will you be adding a support piece from the frame down to the crank area? i'm also thinking 'bout doing the "trunk" type w/a hidden cooler below, but my ideas change on a regular basis. rock on!

kustomkool said:
will you be adding a support piece from the frame down to the crank area?

The black marker lines in the picture with the cardboard is the gusset I will be making this afternoon. That in 1/8" steel should be plenty of support.
I plan on making the floor of the "trunk" with some cross breaks and welding a small bung with a plug on the bottom in the center so I can fill it with ice and then drain the water later. :D

cool. When I first read the title I thought you were making an ebay cooler :lol: :lol: :lol:

Markm said:
cool. When I first read the title I thought you were making an ebay cooler :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, I kinda wondered what people might think was actually being built after I reread the title. Oops. :lol:

Re: Makin an EBay trike cooler! (looking, not an ice holder)

Well, I had some long days at work this week, so I didn't get as far as I would have liked. I did however have a few hours today to work on it, and made my gusset and rearend brackets yesterday after work. I did have a major oops today but I'm kinda glad I did so I won't have it later. :?

Well, here's my gusset and rear brackets:
DSCN4869.jpg

I plated the two bottom bars together and installed the gusset:
DSCN4870.jpg

DSCN4874.jpg

DSCN4877.jpg

Here's a mock-up with the flipped cruiser bar I might use, still not so sure on that:
DSCN4879.jpg

DSCN4880.jpg

And then the oops came. I decided to see if the frame would flex any at this point, so I proceeded to step onto the frame where I will be mounting the seat. Lets just say it flexed a little bit :roll:
DSCN4881.jpg

DSCN4882.jpg

I had forgotten that I hadn't done anything to reinforce where I welded in the extension pieces for the bottom tubes. Now there is added reinforcement:
DSCN4883.jpg

And here's the rear brackets welded in place:
DSCN4884.jpg

Tomorrow I will be reinforcing the rear section of the frame somehow and setting the seat tubing into place.

oh ya, like it so far. nice job.

Outlaw :mrgreen:

briancustoms said:
And here's the rear brackets welded in place:
DSCN4884.jpg

lookin bad donkey where did you find the brake??

The brake is what comes on these trikes, and so far, about the only thing that I like about the trike. But, I have yet to make it functional, so we'll see about that. :roll:

Well, after my big oops on Saturday I thought I was done with those sort of problems. Until I put the bike up on the tables Sunday morning and saw this:

DSCN4885.jpg

Well, I managed to tweek it back straight and began reinforcing the frame even more to keep that from happening again.

Here's the mock-up:
DSCN4887.jpg

Plating the rear:
DSCN4889.jpg

DSCN4890.jpg

Stiffening up the gusset a little more:
DSCN4892.jpg

DSCN4894.jpg

DSCN4895.jpg

Rear strength and plating:
DSCN4899.jpg

And where I finished for the weekend:
DSCN4901.jpg

DSCN4902.jpg

So today I need to weld in that extra top bar and the seat tube and start looking at pulleys and whatnot to route the chain. I also noticed this weekend that all three wheels are bent, either they weren't trued properly by the chinese that put this crappy trike together, or they were bent in shipping. Anybody know if an average bike shop would be able to true through axle trike wheels?

i think it looks better than ever with all the plating done!

Got a little more work done tonight.

Finished welding in all the frame supports and stripped the paint off of the one side:
DSCN4905.jpg

And welded in the seatpost:
DSCN4908.jpg

Set it back on the ground to check clearance and fitment:
DSCN4909.jpg

Had to flip the handlebars to make the riding position a bit more comfortable for the girlfriend:
DSCN4911.jpg

DSCN4913.jpg

Next is figuring out how to run the chain around everything, and I still need to find something to make a handbrake out of.

that thing is just about as cool as it can get!

that is amazing!!!!!! you got some crazy imagination.... i am loving that trike....

ya hoo, burito trike, am luvin this one

Outlaw :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Back