Making Holes in a Fork

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I need some advice guys. I have a Hiawatha lugged cruiser that I'm working on right now. The fork that came with the bike originally is quite narrow and I had wanted to run some pretty wide 26"s on the bike for the look I wanted to achieve. This led to a spacing issue. The rear fit it with some careful alignment and is now fine. The front however was not quite clearing the fork blades. So since it was inconsequential, I ground down the inner face of the fork legs a bit and created two 3/4 inch holes, and now the tire clears. I like the overall look of the fork so it would be nice to keep it, I just don't know how safe it is. Ideas, suggestions, mockery and advice are all welcome. Thanks very much.

Here's a picture just to clarify:
-2copy.jpg

i dont think id run anything like that :shock:
might just fold on ya one day while youre ridding! id just find a set of forks that you like that have enough clearance to run the tires you want(most schwinn balloon size blade forks would probably be an easy fit) and not worry about taking a dive
btw.......ya might wanna go to the intro section and say hi before the intro police come after ya :wink:

Haha, ya I'm guessing I'm gonna have to look for something similar but a tad wider. It was worth a shot I suppose.

A little duct tape and you will be fine :p :p . Not wise. You should find another set of forks. Some Schwinn blade forks would look good.

xddorox said:
Well boxkar, I think you just invented the "suicide" fork! I wouldn't ride that thing harder than walking a puppy unless I was aiming for catastrophical failure. Remember, whatever you do, have fun. :mrgreen:
....and video tape it :D :D :D

We can all chip in for a million $ life insurance policy, 1000 members= $1000 each! :lol:

find a chunk of pipe thats the size that will fit. cut it in half and put it in the hole and weld it in place. you might have to go a lil bigger then the hole you have. in the future just cut a line above and below where you want the space and bend the piece in and weld the gaps

Upper Class White Trash said:
find a chunk of pipe thats the size that will fit. cut it in half and put it in the hole and weld it in place. you might have to go a lil bigger then the hole you have. in the future just cut a line above and below where you want the space and bend the piece in and weld the gaps

This.

Back