Man help me out, I'm out of ideas...well almost

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am building a Grape Krate, 1999. I have added a drum brake setup for the front and a Sturmey 3 spd set up complete with a 333 stick shifter because 3 spds are much more fun than one, This thing is really coming together, I have 60" x 5/8" sissybar that I am fitting for a rear shock setup, (work in progress). Now onto my problem, Schwinn designed the Krate a little differently that the repro Stingrays in the way the rear fender mounts between the stays, and to top it off this Krate did not come with rear handbrakes. I want to mount the 1080 caliper style brake as this use to be a coaster brake bike. Have any of you guys/gals overcome this problem and if so how and are there any prefabed magic fix parts out there to correct this, please help as I have a few ideas, but really need your help on this one, I am reviewing the old how to files to see what others have to say about this problem, thanks HUGH

Can you post a picture of the rear brake bridge area? I have never worked on those repops but most of us have lots of experience makeing something fit that does not.

I might have happened on a fix-all solution for mounting a rear brake to a brake bridge made for a bike with coaster brake. Weinmann made an adapter for doing just this. It seems that this part is a very hard to find. If and when I get it, I will mount and try it out and post results, thanks all.

Back