(MBBO#04 Class 1) "Fury"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 44 tooth chain wheel was too large, but was able to be swapped for a 40 tooth from my daily rider. Everything I have is cottered. The fenders look like a good fit. Next to check the tire clearance.

Well no, the 40 didn't work either, so I'll have to "obtain" the 36 tooth chainwheel from my gf's bike, then put a larger cog on the rear so she''ll have the same ratio. Fury has a 2 speed hub, so it will be a low and standard ratio setup instead of a normal and high gear.

fury%20002_zpssbzkuwsy.jpg

I got a couple rolls of plastic film and plan to glue layers together to make my wheel covers. I wonder what kind of glue to use to laminate them and still keep them flexible.

fury%20plastic%20film%20001_zpstudrmy2u.jpg

I'll try the contact cement.
I had just enough plastic for 8 pieces, so I'll glue 2 pieces together then cut them to size. I made a cardboard template to go by, but I may get a piece of poster board to make a better one.
wheel%20discs%20006_zpsyzrc0bsd.jpg
]

The big tire fits and clears the frame. I'm undecided if I want to do the same to the front or go with the 1.75 smaller tire.
I estimated where I'm going to cut the chain case to follow the curve of the rear tire also.

fury%209%20oct%20008_zpsyom9kuyx.jpg

fury%209%20oct%20004_zpsrdbzzmwk.jpg

URL] 9 oct 004_zpsrdbzzmwk.jpg

I just noticed that I never posted up a pic of the forks. They are 24" bmx style. That's why I thought a big tire would go good on the front with the mad max theme. That's a 2.125 tire on the front now.

fury%20001_zps9oxjttaf.jpg

It has that down and dirty off road muscle vibe, which runs deep with me! Lots of skinny front builds, why not be different...?..says the guy with wood bolted to his muscle beach bike...

I don't have another big tire, I'll use the 1.75 tire on front. For now that is.
fury%2010%20oct%20004_zpshy9wvfyu.jpg

The wheel discs are fit to the front wheel, next is the rear wheel. Hard to see because it's clear plastic until they get painted. Since they are flexible I'll cut an access for the valve stem instead of solid discs.
fury%2010%20oct%20001_zps6pgfnqav.jpg

The next hurdle is getting this crank set removed. This is after a month soaking in penetrating oil.
fury%2010%20oct%20003_zpspjmaahel.jpg

fury%2010%20oct%20003_zpspjmaahel.jpg

I like the narrower front idea but that 2.125 didn't look too shabby. Man that bottom bracket looks crusty! Should come out if the cotter pins came out...yikes.

The crank set is different from the other cottered sets, I can't use the chain case with it as it was made, but maybe I can fab up some brackets, or fix it and put it back on the GF's bike. I have an idea for a guard and also a handlebar brace that will match it.

The contact cement worked great on the discs. They are done except for paint. I thought one layer of plastic would be too thin, but they seem to be working well. I'd post a pic, but they are still too clear to see.

The big tire fits and clears the frame. I'm undecided if I want to do the same to the front or go with the 1.75 smaller tire.
I estimated where I'm going to cut the chain case to follow the curve of the rear tire also.

fury%209%20oct%20008_zpsyom9kuyx.jpg

URL] 9 oct 004_zpsrdbzzmwk.jpg

Coming along great, Wildcat! That rear tire is awesome! Who makes those?

It's a Sony Jumbo 747 tire, not sure how to get them in the states, even if at all. They use them here for industrial purposes, like vending carts and bikes, and motorcycles too. A member here from Manila, Joe Conde, used a set on a muscle bike build.

It's a Sony Jumbo 747 tire, not sure how to get them in the states, even if at all. They use them here for industrial purposes, like vending carts and bikes, and motorcycles too. A member here from Manila, Joe Conde, used a set on a muscle bike build.
I think someone mentioned motorized wheelchairs as a source of those tires at some point...

Luke.

I just saw the bike of the day on FB. I'm giving some thought to a grey or silver paint scheme. It'll still be keeping with the mad max theme too.
maxresdefault_zpswcssuyzr.jpg

Last edited:
Since the chain case won't fit, I made up a template for a chain guard to go over the chain wheel. It has to be 2 piece to fit because the crank is attached to the chain wheel. It's solid to go along with the theme. I also made up a template for the handlebar brace, planning to put it about 6 inches from the top of the bars and have it point forward. I think both of them could be cut from 1/8th inch steel and work. I'll tack weld the brace to the handlebars and the chain guard will be held on with 4 nuts and bolts using spacers for clearance.
fury%20chain%20guard%20001%20-%20Copy_zps8ys4e6vq.jpg

Back