(MBBO#05 class 1)"Tissue Damage" Sears Spyder-Finished!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a pipe that fits over the end of my 15 mm pedal wrench. So far, with the extra leverage that provides, no pedal has beaten me yet! Give it a try before you start up the cut wheel....

I have a pipe that fits over the end of my 15 mm pedal wrench. So far, with the extra leverage that provides, no pedal has beaten me yet! Give it a try before you start up the cut wheel....
I've got a pipe too, the open end wrench always flexes enough and pops across the room! My wrenches are Chinese, maybe that's the trouble!

Parts are soaking in acid...
20160910_142133.jpg

The crank came off (the hard way). I still have to get the pedals loose. I'll work on that while everything else takes a bath.

15mm you say? All this time I've been using a 19/32 Craftsman box... Haha, and I've yet to be beaten either!

Carl.

Last edited:
Ok. I've pretty much had it with the acid bath. My "tub" with double plastic sheet and pallet boards ended up leaking. The sissy bar cleaned up enough that I might be able to use it after I get the green paint off and polish it...
20160911_112234.jpg

The front of the frame might clean up enough but the rear is still very rough...
20160911_112259.jpg

20160911_112315.jpg

I found a huge Rubbermaid tub in the rafters of the garage and mixed up another five gallons of the oxalic solution and figured I'd give it another try and the Rubbermaid leaks!! After this it's getting stripped and painted!!

Today tho...I have to clean up a nice old step-thru western flyer to donate to a breast cancer auction...
20160911_112218_1.jpg

After HOURS working on this frame with wd and steel wool, I gave up and took the wire wheel and sand paper to the rear of the frame. I just wasn't getting anywhere.

I think Im gonna try the "wash" technique or just spray blend the closest color I can find....
20160925_172021.jpg

20160925_172028.jpg

Now no days off again for a week! Ugh...

Last edited:
Ok. I've pretty much had it with the acid bath. My "tub" with double plastic sheet and pallet boards ended up leaking. The sissy bar cleaned up enough that I might be able to use it after I get the green paint off and polish it...
20160911_112234.jpg

The front of the frame might clean up enough but the rear is still very rough...
20160911_112259.jpg

20160911_112315.jpg

I found a huge Rubbermaid tub in the rafters of the garage and mixed up another five gallons of the oxalic solution and figured I'd give it another try and the Rubbermaid leaks!! After this it's getting stripped and painted!!

Today tho...I have to clean up a nice old step-thru western flyer to donate to a breast cancer auction...
20160911_112218_1.jpg
You got me thinking about an old kiddie pool I have stashed under the car trailer. Wonder if that would hold up during an acid bath. Maybe it is to bike because of the amount of product. I'm enjoying watching your build. You'll have fun rider that will fit you when you're done. I guess I'm actually lucky to only be 5'3". I can ride any muscle bike like a kid would!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back