(MBBO Class 1) "The Judge 5": Closing argument.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a great neighborhood, but because it's so nice we are targeted by traveling hoodlums. The reason my car was specifically targeted was because Bentley Continental GT's aren't cheap cars.

Ok, but seriously... back in August my garage was very full and we were parking outside. One night my wife accidentally left her purse in her van. A rock was thrown through the passenger window and it was taken. They didn't get anything of value because we had everything shut down that morning. Except that my wife had traveled with my daughter around the state for dance, and she had spares keys in her purse in case she lost them. So they got the spares for both vehicles. The insurance company wouldn't pay to re-key the cars, so I reorganized the garage and we've been parking them in there. Fast forward to last week. I left my car outside with the expectation to work on my bike. But I had a cold, felt like crap, so turned in early without ever going back out to the garage. I forgot to bring the car in, and in the morning it was gone. I had left it out here and there for "bike" reasons (messy garage, too lazy to clean it up) so I got complacent thinking since it wasn't stolen, they weren't coming back. I was wrong.

It's a great neighborhood, but because it's so nice we are targeted by traveling hoodlums. The reason my car was specifically targeted was because Bentley Continental GT's aren't cheap cars.

Ok, but seriously... back in August my garage was very full and we were parking outside. One night my wife accidentally left her purse in her van. A rock was thrown through the passenger window and it was taken. They didn't get anything of value because we had everything shut down that morning. Except that my wife had traveled with my daughter around the state for dance, and she had spares keys in her purse in case she lost them. So they got the spares for both vehicles. The insurance company wouldn't pay to re-key the cars, so I reorganized the garage and we've been parking them in there. Fast forward to last week. I left my car outside with the expectation to work on my bike. But I had a cold, felt like crap, so turned in early without ever going back out to the garage. I forgot to bring the car in, and in the morning it was gone. I had left it out here and there for "bike" reasons (messy garage, too lazy to clean it up) so I got complacent thinking since it wasn't stolen, they weren't coming back. I was wrong.

Oh..Man... Im so sorry for this unfortunate turn of events for you.
I can see stealing a Bentley being a Rush, I hadnt read that far back, and right you are, their penciled in at a pretty high price tag [but with a car like that, dont they offer like super ultra theft insurances and all?Forgive my Nievity, I've only owned a little '73 Honda 360.]
It sounds like based on the series of events that it was the same crook/s.. but how BRAZEN, for them to return to the scene of the crime and repeat a hit. [so they didnt have to break the glass again of course, because they had the keys..just nice and quiet.]
You know given the space in between each, though leads me to believe they probably live in the same city.

-Jordan

I put the tires on the wheels. The Blackwall pie crust Cheater Slick I have has a few more weathering cracks than I would like. Going to see about a replacement before sanding the sidewalls smooth for paint. But I'll start sanding the front tire.

I've also thrown the first coat of primer on the frame/fork. Since this bike hasn't functioned in who knows how long, I'm going to put the whole thing together, and clean and polish the parts as I put them on, just to make sure everything fits so I don't screw up any paint with any build adjustments. I still need to find a place to paint. That, and the seat, will be my major obstacles to finishing by the deadline.

EzdRuT.jpg

Maybe you could paint where you sprayed the primer?

I've been spraying mine outside then bringing in to cure. I do usually get one bug that lands in the clear and looses it's legs. I just hit the legs with more clear and sand them smooth later.

I put the tires on the wheels. The Blackwall pie crust Cheater Slick

+ let's see them wheels with the tires!

Last edited:
No replacement for the Cheater Slick. This has the tread and ornamentation of the RWL tire that came off the bike, but is just a blackwall. So, I want to keep that look for the billboard lettering I'm going to do for it... so I'll have to deal with the cracking.

Tonight I tried out smoothing the Kenda front tire I have. Looks like it'll work fine. I think after it's painted, with some tire treatment on it, you won't be able to tell it was sanded. (I hope)

Before:
vZeskZ.jpg

After:
ainqok.jpg

I used an orbital sander which hit the rim a number of times, so after I'm done smoothing it out I'm going to take the tire off and polish out the brake walls. I used a pad of 150 grit to knock the texture down, then I went over it by hand with 400 grit to smooth it.

Tire looks great! Love what you've got planned there.

When it's time to paint I'm sure you'll find a spot.

Just cover your garage in plastic sheeting. Get some filters for the bottom of the garage door and a fan to push and one to pull(you want one stronger than the other) and insta-paint booth. Unless you have a furnace in the garage. Fire and fumes, no bueno.

Paint day! I got back late from Disneyland last night, but still dragged my butt up early to get to the rented paint booth at a decent hour. The guy was nice enough to let me leave it there to dry for a couple days so I don't screw it up.

7fXjO0.jpg

Butterscotch/tangerine on first...

DkLmj8.jpg

koy6lW.jpg

And after the apple red fade.

fQu65D.jpg

eUhY6G.jpg

wkJKS6.jpg

Put on the decals and the clear, but ran out of time in the booth so had to quickly clean up and didn't get final photos. I'll get post some after pickup.

Lookin' good Crash, just curious what it cost to rent a booth for a day ?
We spent $100 on half a day. He normally charges $150, but took pity on me.

Nice! Looks like you're in the home stretch. You find a seat?
I have a red one on the way. The custom one still hasn't been started, so I'm going to assume it won't be done in time. If it is, then bonus. If not, then I've got a red one that will work for a decent filler.

Back