MBBO Class 2 - ALiEN FiRE - DONE!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks sick! What are the plans for the upper BB shell? I see you still have the cups in there. Are you going to make a pivot for a suspended sissy?
No solid plan yet, I've been thinking of grinding the old BB into the contour of the top tube and plating over them. Seat tube may come out the back of the top tube and Z up a bit, before continuing horizontally back, with a banana as a cafe style seat. (or I could keep my Oreos in there...)

Carl. :android:

Last edited:
If you read up above, I rode this for about 50 ft today, then things started :eek: happening :android: I definitely need to fab some kind of locking plate to keep the rear wheel in the UP facing dropouts (dropups?o_O) I also need to plug weld the new BB stem. An additional set screw held it, but not for long. Brakes, yeah I need em'... but I think I'm getting the look I want. I don't feel too bad about a 4 month build, only 4 days in...

What is a plug weld ? Is that one of them old panel welders that has the two terminals you press against two pieces of metal and they melt together?
"A plug weld is used to fasten two pieces of metal together using a welder. When joining the pieces, a hole is drilled into the top piece and it is laid over the bottom one. A weld is then made by running a bead inside of the drilled hole, thereby holding the two pieces together."

I used to do this a lot when I worked at an auto body shop when replacing panels to retain a stock look.

WFT has it right there!
The one you are talking about with the two terminals is a spot weld, fine for thin materials but would not be up to the job in this case.

As an example here are some tubes that have been plug welded to hold the sleeve in place:

14317529550_cc3f115242_z.jpg

Luke.

Spot welding is what we should have done on those panels but without ripping everything apart wasn't going to happen so small plug welds were done.

Can we see how you mounted the bars?? I'm building a bmx muscle of sorts for truck shows and that caught my eye. Much appreciated!
Pretty easy really, with the type of forks I have. There is a hole all the way thru the fork tube, now it tapered a bit at the fork end and I had to hone it out a bit. But I just used a spade it in a hand drill, ruined a 2 dollar bit, but worked well. Then I just put a stem in from the bottom side!

* not the stem I'm using, upon a closer look to get this pic, I noticed a crack in the stem I was using. So this stem is a place holder of sorts, I really want a drop stem for the angular look.

Last edited:
Cool that would be good for using one of them little getaway with handcuffs steering wheel and ape hanger combinations like on the low rider bikes maybe that's how they do it anyway?

Back