(MBBO Class 2) "Mad Maxine" NOW SOLD TO A NEW RRB MEMBER!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess most of you would know of the huge fan battle between Ford and Holden here in Australia, I actually consider myself a Ford man, having owned 6 of them to only one Holden in the past, so this would be a bit of a diversion for me...

They are a GM family product but completely locally designed and built, the Holden "Red" sixs are an incredible motor, they ran them for nearly 30 years and the big bore 202c.i. is still readily found for next to nothing, with plenty of after-market support, so engine is not something I am worried about, transmission may need an upgrade, more than likely it is three on the tree with no synchro on first, would prefer a full synchro 4 or 5 speed or even an auto so my wife can happily drive it, front brakes are the big thing that I will do, drum to disc upgrade will be my first stop if I get one, I may fluke one of the rarer ones that came with disc's but that is unlikely...

Prices are pretty variable, I have seen anywhere from $500 to $5,000 for a car needing restoration, $5,000 roughly for a driver and $10,000 and up for a show quality example, really depends on how much rust is present, to be honest I will be looking at the far lower end of that scale, but the rust does not worry me so much, plenty of rust repair panels are available for them and I actually quite enjoy that side of car restoration... ;)

Luke.

Those are cool! You're making me want another car.

1986 Shelby GLHS was one of the funest cars I've had.

main.php

Those are cool! You're making me want another car.

1986 Shelby GLHS was one of the funest cars I've had.

main.php
That motor looks just like the 2.5 turbo that was in my 89 Plymouth Voyager minivan. It was a blast! My 2 year old daughter in her car seat up front would wave to people as we launched like a rocket from stop lights.

11uzub6.jpg

I never put my six' through that man is that awesome!!! I would love to see you build it up similar to that be sure to post about it when you get it and start improvements.

I never put my six' through that man is that awesome!!! I would love to see you build it up similar to that be sure to post about it when you get it and start improvements.
If I get one, you can be sure I will start a thread! ;)

Hoping to get some work done on the bike soon and get this thread and build back on track!

Luke.

If I get one, you can be sure I will start a thread! ;)

Hoping to get some work done on the bike soon and get this thread and build back on track!

Luke.
Yeah you fooled me into lookin' again...
But, nope no bike stuff...:blackeye:

Carl.

Last post regarding the cars!

Finally managed to go have a look at them, turned out there was 4 HR utes there, in various stages of decay, one or two are easily salvagable, but out of my pricerange, one of the others could be saved given enough work, but I have pretty much decided I don't want to do that much work... ;)

Half the motor missing, no gearbox, no wheels, no interior, no dash binnacle, smashed tail-light lenses, It did at least have a disc brake conversion already done:

15624289578_15191c3727_z.jpg

Cant tell in the photo but there are huge holes in the bottom of this fender, along with plenty of old bondo falling off:

15189722954_a2077d1bf4_z.jpg

Previous unfinished repairs always worry me:

15807801921_7e6c72d975_z.jpg

Never mind...

Back to bikes...

Luke.

P.S. Looks like my camera is failing, must have been when I dropped it the other day...:(

To bad about the Holdens, looked like it would have been a cool project.

Carl. :android:

Good call...so glad I don't have a car to work on right now...these bikes are way more fun and you can go wild for a fraction of what it costs to do anything to a car.

Now get back to work on that bike! :D

Thanks everyone, finally got some small progress done today!

Started with two of the chair legs cut to size:

15223286853_518d8e35fc_z.jpg

Shape the frame to suit:

15655424098_8688a807c5_z.jpg

Weld, rinse, repeat:

15817122246_bec12711f9_z.jpg

Found some drops with the right angles and tube sizing, from a 16" girls bike:

15655600280_d62875cf52_z.jpg

Welded:

15656931559_53d7688b34_z.jpg

Finally able to spin up the rear wheel I made back at the start to check how true it is before it gets finish welded:

15655423708_7462ac863d_z.jpg

15656931489_677aecc3e2_z.jpg

Turned out good, so no adjustments were necessary, it can be fully welded now.

To give an idea of how it will sit:

15840964911_efea92d013_z.jpg

These Bratz forks will need to be significantly adjusted and lengthened to achieve the desired stance:

15223286943_ccc6230a00_z.jpg

That was it for the day...

Luke.

Wow Luke you're pretty handy with a chair! Really nice work. I wish I could feel some of that warm sunshine. Looks like a beautiful day down there.

Wow Luke you're pretty handy with a chair! Really nice work. I wish I could feel some of that warm sunshine. Looks like a beautiful day down there.
It was a fantastic day, loved being outside and working for a change! :thumbsup:

Luke.

Looking at this:

15840964911_efea92d013_z.jpg

Compared to my concept drawing:

14980187628_26c6e2d7bd_z.jpg

Thinking I might shorten the rear triangle once the tire is fitted to the rim and I know exactly how much room I need...

Luke.

Back