(MBBO4 Class 1) SixtyNine Spyder: All Done!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never seen a head tube get bent like that. Ugh.
You could always go with a King Cobra fork to compensate.

As I mentioned in my other thread, the job hunt since retirement has been soul-crushing. I thought I would have had something by now. Hunting for a job is a job in itself, and I just haven't been motivated to work on bikes because of the stress. But... I know I need to, so I put in a bit of time today.

As I mentioned, I got a new frame. Today I unwrapped it and took it to the base's Auto Hobby Shop. I had to change the oil on my wife's van, and they have a sand blaster. It wasn't working well, but I managed to attack the Spyder's nooks and crannies. I think I got them blasted enough to where I can take care of the rest with paint stripper, sand paper, and some elbow grease.

I'm going to do the same thing, completely build up this bike to make sure everything fits and works. Then I'll take it down, polish everything and paint the frame.

So first thing's first, I checked the alignment of the rear drop outs... and they were off of course.

kw7WYq.jpg

And some alignment... I love this tool! (borrowed it from my LBS)

XZwklJ.jpg

Next I'm going to build it up.

As I mentioned in my other thread, the job hunt since retirement has been soul-crushing. I thought I would have had something by now. Hunting for a job is a job in itself, and I just haven't been motivated to work on bikes because of the stress. But... I know I need to, so I put in a bit of time today.

The job search is worse than a job. Been there not too long ago. You've got benefits and a pension from retiring from the Navy I assume?

Take a break and enjoy what makes you happy. Building bikes is good for the soul.

And some alignment... I love this tool! (borrowed it from my LBS)

That's killer! Never seen one of those.

Glad you were able to get a new frame. That first one really looked jacked up..:eek:

As I put this new frame together I ran into a problem I ran into with the other frame. (It must be a "Spyder" thing). The way the brakes sit, they have the tendency to twist a bit and rub the frame.

As you can see, above my fingers, this is where this set rubbed. The other set did the same.

NAgKOh.jpg

Here's a side view

3zOYC2.jpg

So I played around with spacing. This is what I ended up with.

g4R1hN.jpg

vcVlU1.jpg

This still looks like it would rub, but it's just a bad angle. It clears fine.
EyJkmN.jpg

9Y5DvF.jpg

This is a little odd. I'm using original parts for this, but the right side fender brace doesn't clear the derailleur hanger very well. Bad design maybe? I'm wondering what I could do to make this look better.

KrkHNO.jpg

I threw the rest of it together. As you can see, the front wheel clears very well when the frame isn't bent. Don't get excited about the seat. It's just a borrowed one from another project. The actual seat is classified.

oDMNVJ.jpg

But another issue is that I'm using a Persons seat with a Troxel sissy. The sissy is original, but the seat isn't. The "classified" seat is also a Persons. I'm thinking I'm going to get some longer hardware and make up the gap with some spacers.

oH1umG.jpg

A seat I removed from a bike I found had round plastic spacers, thick gray tubular pieces with one end curved to set up against the sissy bar. I think you could fab some up from nylon bushings with a half round file...

Carl.

A seat I removed from a bike I found had round plastic spacers, thick gray tubular pieces with one end curved to set up against the sissy bar. I think you could fab some up from nylon bushings with a half round file...

Carl.

You mean like this??
Spacer.jpg

I'm working on repro sissy bar spacers for the Murray Eliminator and other bikes. Originals on the right, mine on the left. Coming soon... :cool2:

-Dan

You mean like this??
View attachment 14278

I'm working on repro sissy bar spacers for the Murray Eliminator and other bikes. Originals on the right, mine on the left. Coming soon... :cool2:

-Dan
Yep, cept' mine were gray and maybe a bit longer... nice job on pieces that are definitely worth reproducing.

Carl.

I miss that seat , I want it Back !
Your seat was on this MBBO2 winner, and was sold last year for dozens of dollars.

7nj6.jpg

The seat shown is almost the same, but not in as good of shape. I snagged it off Ebay cheap. It's going on a future Huffy Super Stock project.

:( o'well you sure build some Purdy Bikes !

~Rafael~

No real update other than I'm polishing parts when I can. Also, I got seat spacers from Rusty63 and they work great.

D2w8ao.jpg

I did run into a problem. For the actual seat I'm using it doesn't have the mounting grommets on it. I bought something I thought would work but hadn't tried them yet. They don't work and now I'm scrambling to find something else.

Does anyone know where to get correct ones that will work?

I knew there was something I should have looked for when I was at Joanne Fabrics. I even had Rob with me to deal with the staff. Last fabric cutting lady at Joanne's really scared me.:21:

But at a quick glance it looks like 1/4 inch ID or 7/16 inch OD would work. Looks like they are either listed as 1/4 or 7/16 but for the same size eyelet/grommet deal. That's just a guess on the size though.

I have some seats that could use some but I've been too lazy to order any or go buy some. If you order a big bag of them I'd buy a few from you.

Haven't had any problems so far running seats without them but would be nice to have.

Back