Mean Green

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a thread in the 'How To' section, but I figured I'd start a new thread seeing as how I'm going to chronicle the build. I started with an old Schwinn (don't know the year or model.) I've thrown on a bent springer fork and was originally going to run ape hangers on it, but decided I like the sleek low look of it and decided to go with a set of handlebars I already had.

This is the before picture:
5728566419_152f64d6da.jpg

New fork:
P8240030.JPG

And this is where I am now (haha excuse the mess, my apt is pretty small):
6084784321_45430c07ab_b.jpg

6085332180_3950533fe0_b.jpg

I'm toying with the idea of trying to extend the rear dropouts so I can run a 29" wheel on the back.
6084365339_6ea3da3168_b.jpg

I plan on painting it green. I've got all my paints, I just want to paint last. Stay tuned!

I'm planning on dropping the rear of my hawthorne, not to accommodate a 29" rim/tire but just to lower the stance. Bike looks nice.

COOL BUILD, but judging from those Converse water skis you have, you might stub your toes on this low rider. :mrgreen:

Thanks, guys! I'm going to have to make the rear dropouts. I'll need the help of a friend, but I think I can pull it off.

haha and yes, my converses are pretty worn

Hey thanks, whitewalls. I've looked it up before, but i'm more curious as to the model. Not that it makes any difference. I love this bike. I picked it up for $20 at a yard sale. Best find all summer.

No major updates. Just a picture of some dropouts I cut off a frame before donating it to a friend. I'll be using them to extend my dropouts. I just need to drill out a third hole and shape them up a little cleaner. But for now I want to get a coat of paint on the frame before it starts to rain.

6108744793_9e8c8a4893_b.jpg

Thanks, Schwinnray
Almost done, just waiting on my seat and rear wheel. After the holiday I go back to work and can finish my dropout extensions. I still have to paint the chain guard, but rain stopped me today.

6113495407_b37d8d8598_b.jpg

6114038016_14d9f59e39_b.jpg

P9060050.JPG

FIN!

...For now, anyway.
I'd like to get some finishing touches: white pedals, maybe shorter crank. But this is how she'll stay for a little bit. When the weather clears up I'll paint the chainguard. And as it turns out the 29" wheel I ordered works better for another project I've been meaning to work on so, that's a small setback. I'm not turning my back on the greany; merely prioritizing.

Back