Measuring frame size on a 1963 Schwinn?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question from a newbie. I used the search function but couldn't find anything. I picked a 1963 Schwinn middleweight I believe. I have seen they produced a 26 and 24 inch frames and was wondering how to measure this frame to determine it's size? The bike only came with a odd front fork, series 200 knurled front rim and it had a speedster chain guard but it is not a speedster frame from looking at a 63 catalog. Looks more like the typhoon frame. Thanks for replies.

24" or 26" is referring to tire size. Should say right on the sidewall, 26x1 3/4 for example. Since you don't have wheels, I would measure the legs of the fork.

Measure the seat tube from the bottom bracket up to the seat clamp. If it's 18", you have a 26" bike. If it's 16", you have a 24" bike. Gary

B607 said:
Measure the seat tube from the bottom bracket up to the seat clamp. If it's 18", you have a 26" bike. If it's 16", you have a 24" bike. Gary

To clarify measure from the center of the cranks/bottom bracket to the top of the seat tube. They also made a 26" wheel king size frame that measures 20"

Back