metalflake

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's up y'all, haven't been postin for a while but I've been here.
Does anyone have any experience with the application of metal flake, dry, with no special dust shooter? Do I lay down a wet coat of base paint and sprinkle or what? I know I have to apply tons of clear afterwards...I just wonder if anyone has any tips?
Thanks

most paints have it in it anymore unless your wantin super duper roller skatin sticker type flake, and newer in newer auto paints it really powder instead of flakes. i havent used the spray flake before, but house of kolor has some pretty self explanetory info on the different kinds of flake.

yeah, I got some of that super fancy holographic rollerskate glitter flake stuff. I'm redoing my gf's murray and she wants the flake, candy style, on the tank, rack and possibly the fenders, probably be just the tank.
Thanks for the HOK tip, I didn't think of that.
Any other experiences would be cool too.

Sorry :cry: Gonna do my 1st paint job this weekend. Flat Black....Know nothing about flake. L8 EM

It's pretty hard to get it smooth without spraying flake with the clear. But since it's just a bike tank and easy to strip and re-do, I say go for it. Make a shaker for it so you can get it to shake out even and consistently. Then go slow with your layers of clear, until it's smooth enough to your liking. I think the most important part is to take your time and move slow. Maybe even try a lite sprinkle of flake then clear, and repeat until the flake is deep enough for you. Just ideas, never done a dry flake job myself. Let us know how it works out.

here's the result of my first attempt to flake anything. Redoing my girl's bike.
Done with a salt-shaker, rattlecan clear in the frickin wind.
wind is not my friend. :x
flakey1.jpg

flakey2.jpg

flakey3.jpg

flakey5.jpg

flakey4.jpg

wet sand it with 1500 reclear it with the same kind of clear it will give it more depth.

yeah that ROCKS for a spray bomb shaker flake job!!!!

thanks for the compliments, guys. I was pretty surprised with the results. it's hard to get a good picture, the camera just doesn't do it any justice. It's way shinier than it seems. I'll try the wet sanding and see how it turns out, thanks.
I'm doing some more parts, i'll post some more pics when they are done. Really time consuming, many many coats o clear to get it smooth.

My uncle painted his '72 Dodge Charger with gold flake back in the day. He said he'd come home from work, lay down half a dozen or so coats of clear. Eat dinner. Lay down half a dozen more. He did this every day, and it still took him months. The flake looks to be about the same size as what you're using, aka massive.

Back