Micargi/Firmstrong Bikes - Yay or Nay?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I am of the mindset that older is better and certainly have a preference for American made stuff, but this caught my eye:

http://www.bikebuyers.com/fito-modena-gt-alloy-7sp-man-photos-matte-grey.htm

For $340 shipped, I get a bike that I think with minimal changes would mimic the look of a flat tracker motorcycle (Felt Berm Master tires, different saddle, and a few little part swaps). Seems like it might be a decent enough unit provided I put my bike mechanic skills to use with a thorough assembly and setup.

I see these Micargi and Firmstrong brand bikes plastered all over the interwebs and never took much of a look u til I found this bike which I like. I get the impression most their stuff is pretty junky. Anybody have any first hand experiences with this brand?

Micargi and Firmstrong bikes are good quality bikes at a great price!

I bought my wife a nice cruiser and she loves it! I adjusted and made sure everything worked smoothly and have had no problems for hundreds of miles!...

I'm eventually going to buy a Micargi Fixie!

Bike mechanic? Ever work on Tektro Io brakes? I see that the bike you linked has IoX, so maybe these are improved, but the regular Tektro Io is the worst brake I've ever tried to work on.

As for the rest of it: I wouldn't bother. For a few bucks more, you can get a brand-new Worksman inb, with cool wheels and a more authentic look. For a lot less, you can buy something vintage, too. My vote: nay.

I love the look of the bike you linked to!
If you are after an alloy frame with disc brakes with that style to them a vintage frame is not going to suit you anyway, so buy it and replace the parts you want to and if anything else plays up (maybe the brake callipers if they end up being an issue?) replace it then...

Luke.

Ive been satisfied with my Micargi Royal.
After looking at building up costs I had a rider NOW on a frame size I otherwise couldnt afford (Bassman) and will upgrade when I have to replace something.
I do have to think that the component sets on your selection will be bottom end at that price point; no way around it.

Just like any chain store bike eventually sooner or later you'll have to replace the components of the Worlds lesser quality materials, craftsmanship, and design. when I buy or sell bikes in the three to four hundred dollar range I'm looking for quality frames and forks, decent wheels would be nice too!
The fork and disc brake on that bike are killer looking looking!

Bike mechanic? Ever work on Tektro Io brakes? I see that the bike you linked has IoX, so maybe these are improved, but the regular Tektro Io is the worst brake I've ever tried to work on.

As for the rest of it: I wouldn't bother. For a few bucks more, you can get a brand-new Worksman inb, with cool wheels and a more authentic look. For a lot less, you can buy something vintage, too. My vote: nay.

I used to work at a shop and many of the entry-level MTBs had Tektro mech discs. They aren't terrible, but certainly not as nice as the Avid BB7 or BB5. I would be more concerned with the caliper mounting tabs not being aligned straight or faced properly. That makes it a PITA to set up any disc brake.

As for other options you mentioned, Worksman is certainly one I will consider. The thing is, I want something with a dual crown fork and this bike I found caught my eye. The other option I would go for is an Electra Rally Sport.

25ADC217-01DA-4370-AB0C-6CD9A4C6CDB3.jpg

25ADC217-01DA-4370-AB0C-6CD9A4C6CDB3.jpg
I'm pretty happy with mine. They're a good base to start with.

Back