Michelob Ultra Mountain Bike, where did they come from?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoothgeye

I build stuff.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm sure if you watch Craigslist you have seen these full suspension disc brake mountain bikes listed. I've seen them from $350 down to $75. If the $75 bike was local I would have bought it for parts. Most ads don't say anything about where the bikes came from, but some say something about people winning them in a raffle or just winning them.

Does anyone know what the promotion was and where people have been winning these bikes? Anyone know if this is just a China bike or is there an actual name brand that can be associated with it?

Here's the latest local to me, this one is about 40 miles away for $100, but the ad is pretty funny:

"Up for sale is a Michelob Ultra mountain bike. This bike is modeled after Lance Armstronges bike. It is brand new and has never been ridden. Has disc brakes front and rear, a shock absorber under the seat, and also an adjustable seat. Would like $100 obo. I am located in Rocky Mount, NC 27804. You can call me at 252-955-9517. My name is Joe. Thanks for looking. "

http://eastnc.craigslist.org/bik/2254643870.html

Lance Armstong would be proud.

Sorry I can't help with your question, but you have to love the Lance Armstrong reference. Sure it was modeled after his bike. Both have wheels, tires, frame, handlebars, seat and fork. -SEE! They're exactly the same. :lol:

PS: Where is the big honkin' beer rack like the New Belgiums have?

judging by the kickstand on a generic y frame Mt bike, I'd almost bet it's Chinese in origin.

cman said:
On par with a box store bike for $100.

I had one of these last week that somebody gave me to donate to the Bike Coop. Bolt on front & rear axles. Disc brakes that would not stop after adjusted. And HEAVY.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 317AARzyYg

When's the last time you looked? You ain't gettin' suspension and gears in a box for 1 Benjamin, at least not where I live. :|

Okay, apparently Walmart has one on the books.($100 bike, not Michalob. :lol: ) Amateur assembly is probably the least of its deficiencies. I'd probably pick one up out of the trash, but then I'd probably throw most of it back. :mrgreen:

deorman said:
The only bikes I've seen Armstrong ride would last about 50 ft in full suspended mtb territory. :p I suppose he's probably ridden an mtb at least once. :?
He rides off-road. Seen him at a few Texas off-road events. Hasn't made the podium yet...but that'll change. He's good, very good. And a very serious competitor, but we probably already knew that. :wink:

cman said:
I had one of these last week that somebody gave me to donate to the Bike Coop. Bolt on front & rear axles. Disc brakes that would not stop after adjusted. And HEAVY.

The only thing this has that a big box store $100 MTB doesn't is the disc brakes, I thought if one popped up for $50-$75 I'd pick it up for the front disc wheel, then hack off the caliper and mount to weld to some othre project just to make an oddball, but I'm glad you said the disc was no good, now I know. But would it be adequate?

aka_locojoe said:
Lance won the Leadville 100 mtb race in 2009. http://www.leadvilletrail100.com/Home.aspx

Beat me to it, Lance actually trains quite a bit on mtbs. You have to be fairly good tech rider for parts of the Leadville. But here's a pic of the bike he used, carbon and not a Y-frame, but as mentioned 2 wheels etc.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2009...dville-mountain-bike-2010-trek-top-fuel_96586

LA_Leadvillebike03.JPG

cman said:
On par with a box store bike for $100.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 317AARzyYg

there's no excuse for those things- they really are just awful.... :|

Still don't know where they came from, some promotion no doubt, but how did they get into the hands of people who don't want them?

I work at a grocery store and I can tell you one way ordinary people get them: the beer distributors bring stuff like this for the beer displays and most stores give it away when the sale is over.

In the last few years I have seen bicycles, inflatable rafts and other similar inflatable beach toys, beach chairs and umbrellas, lawn chairs, sports stadium-style seats (three seats together that share armrests), hunting/fishing cooler stools, pedalboats, kayaks, mini-refrigerators, a mini refrigerated beverage dispenser (like a college-fridge-sized soda machine, except it didn't need money, you just pressed the buttons and a can would come out) coolers of all shapes and sizes, hibachis and BBQ grills of all shapes and sizes, and too many footballs and basketballs/w/hoops to count,,, both full-size and miniature. Usually this stuff has special brand colors or decals on it, but not always.

We like to track down what the stuff costs, if it seems like it might be expensive.
The kayak was an Emotion Comet, a creek boat that retails for only about $275. Not the worst example, but on the cheaper end of the spectrum for poly creek boats.
The most expensive thing yet was the 4-person pedalboat--a Future Beach Water Bee that retailed for around $1100 at the time.

Stores are free to dispose of the items once the sale is over. Usually, this stuff gets given away but sometimes store managers keep it for themselves.
If they give it away, there is a tablet of drawing forms and a box to put them in once you fill one out, and after the promotion is over, the store gives away the [whatever] by drawing a name from the entries.

For the cheaper stuff (like the bicycles) each store usually gets one item and the drawing is only from the names registered at that single store. So if you find a bike at one store, you might visit another of the same chain and see if they have on on display too, and register for that one also. For the expensive stuff, there is only one item given away--the big pedal boat was like this--and it gets moved around to a few different stores, and then the drawing is from all the names collected at all the stores it was in.

And they don't give away everything.
Once they brought in a shifter kart with a beer-company NASCAR-style body on it. That did not get given away, it sat on a beer display for a week and then the beer distributor took it back at the end of the sale. That probably cost $2500 though.

Every bicycle I have ever seen brought in for this was a ~$125 wal-mart quality thing. I don't remember any road bicycles, but there have been a couple cruisers. Mostly it seems to be mountain bikes. The only things unique about them is a product-color-coordinated paint job and a few beer/liquor decals.

What's even funnier is when the bicycle is a beer company motif, but it's child-sized. We've had a few like that. ;)

I second dougc I used to work at a beer distributor and we had a rolling rock bike raffled off with a bunch of other stuff. Crooked owner had people fill out hundreds of tickets then gave the stuff to his friends :roll: Nice way to appreciate your customers. There was a michelob ultra recently sold on craigslist and I thought it was basically stickers thrown on a magna.
On a side note my fathers friend collects any bikes with beer labels and he told me that there going to stop using beer advertising on bicycles.That's the rumor atleast

I don't disagree on the grocery store thing, but I think these have been given away at bars in contests/games and stuff. Some being sold are still in the box, not assembled. If it had been a display item it would have been assembled.

i dont know where they came from but if i had the money and the chance to buy one i definetly would. just think, in about 40 years what isnt going be made over seas...if its worth $120 now maybe just maybe, they will be worth a little more to future pickers. and not because of their reliability but because how someone mentioned before, beer companies are going to stop putting decals on bikes (i thought that had stoped already) and maybe that will increase their value. :D

It's back.. the Lance Armstrong limited edition Michelob Ultra bike:

http://richmond.craigslist.org/bik/2484131846.html

LANCE ARMSTRONG CUSTOM BIKE - $250 (Colonial Heights)

Date: 2011-07-08, 4:55PM EDT

this is a Lance Armstrong / Michelob Ultra custom bike. This is 1 of only 300 made. The bike is BRAND NEW STILL IN BOX!!! It is a 21 speed, titanium frame, with front and rear shocks!!! THIS IS A $600 BIKE!!! I am moving soon and cannot take this with me!!!if you have any questions please feel free to ask!!

they were giving one away at a michelob ultra tent at the bolder boulder 10k race this year. as i walked by i heard the drawing was only 2 minutes away.

i kept on walking.......

yoothgeye said:
It's back.. the Lance Armstrong limited edition Michelob Ultra bike:

http://richmond.craigslist.org/bik/2484131846.html

LANCE ARMSTRONG CUSTOM BIKE - $250 (Colonial Heights)

Date: 2011-07-08, 4:55PM EDT

this is a Lance Armstrong / Michelob Ultra custom bike. This is 1 of only 300 made. The bike is BRAND NEW STILL IN BOX!!! It is a 21 speed, titanium frame, with front and rear shocks!!! THIS IS A $600 BIKE!!! I am moving soon and cannot take this with me!!!if you have any questions please feel free to ask!!

A Ti full suspension bike for $600!!

What gets me there is someone that will pay $250 for that bike, and I practically had to give my '60 Schwinn away.

Back