Mid 60's Schwinn wheels, modern day tires.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mid 60's Schwinn with original wheeels. I need new tires. I tried to mount a set I had laying around, problem is they wont fit the wheels.

My question for you guys is this, what modern day tire, 26"x 2.125 or slightly bigger will fit these wheels?

Thanks for your help.

Youu just need some 571 tires, aka 26x1 3/4 aka s7 aka a pretty stupid idea; thank goodness they stopped doing it. There are still new tires available for this size, most notably Kenda K75. You can order some new 559 rims, but tires are usually cheaper...

Bicycle808 said:
Youu just need some 571 tires, aka 26x1 3/4 aka s7 aka a pretty stupid idea; thank goodness they stopped doing it. There are still new tires available for this size, most notably Kenda K75. You can order some new 559 rims, but tires are usually cheaper...

Actually when you look at it from Schwinn's point of view it was genius! They make their own size rim and thus when you wear the tires off of it and need service the only place you could get tires was your Schwinn dealer meaning you were forced into being a repeat customer making Schwinn more money. :mrgreen: And with all the cool bikes they had back in the day on the showroom floor you'd be caught up in the eye candy and with the trade in program they had it was marketing GOLD!

You're both tight. Marketing genius, and frustration for parents whose kid needed a new tire. :wink: Gary

Latest posts

Back