Mid-Western Flyer X-16 :: Assembled and Riding pg. 5

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

What a difference a day makes! (and a gas lens. I upgraded my torch to a gas lens.) The quality of weld on this "purpose made" practice piece is actually pretty darn acceptable. Everywhere has said a gas lens makes a world of difference, and I finally did it and wonder why I took so long. The bits (lens collette, 3 nozzles, the back seal) were only about $20 to upgrade my 17 style torch. I guess I figured it would be a lot more. Now I know. And you do too!

I was waiting and hoping to see how you were going to bend the tubing. OH well, now I'm looking forward to you upgraded design.:thumbsup:

Now that your going with straight tubes, your new drawing got me thinking about how you could continue that theme and go for a more modern stealth fighter 'X-117' with the rack and tank.
f117bank.jpg

I was waiting and hoping to see how you were going to bend the tubing. OH well, now I'm looking forward to you upgraded design.:thumbsup:

Now that your going with straight tubes, your new drawing got me thinking about how you could continue that theme and go for a more modern stealth fighter 'X-117' with the rack and tank.
f117bank.jpg

Yeah, I really hoped it would work using an EMT bender since I only needed 15 degree bends, but real bike tubing needs either a die and mandrel setup or a tubing roller. I've had good luck with mild steel 0.065" wall, and I'll try some straight gauge 0.049" chromoly someday with the conduit bender. And with luck, someday, I'll have all the proper tools to do the job "right."

For those who may be curious... I'm still using a low-tech approach to fitting up the tubes. I use hardware store hole cutters, in this case 1-1/4" and 1-1/8", in a Harbor Freight tubing notcher, then a bench grinder, then a sanding drum and/or grinding stone in a drill press, then a hand file.

(There are better and more precise tools available)

And often back and forth from checking, grinding, checking, sanding, checking filing. Always taking a little off and checking before I go too far. Each of these ends takes about an hour of work.

As is always said, a good fit is the key to a good weld. (and I need all the help I can get!)

It's always fun watching scratch built frames come together.

I understand some claim success preventing collapse while bending tubes by filling the tube with sand. I imagine the tubes need to be closed off to keep the sand from shifting, don't know for sure having not tried it myself.

Hey everybody, c'mon over to my thread! I'll be filling my tires with air and then properly aligning and securing the valve stem cap!

Nice work and descriptions, Skynight.

furyus

Hey everybody, c'mon over to my thread! I'll be filling my tires with air and then properly aligning and securing the valve stem cap!
Huh?!:39::wondering:

He is joking about how SkyNight is building his frame from scratch, literally starting with blank tubing and building a bike, while Furyus is just pumping up tires... ;)

Luke.

He is joking about how SkyNight is building his frame from scratch, literally starting with blank tubing and building a bike, while Furyus is just pumping up tires... ;)

Luke.
Oh! :doh: my brain must have been a sleep already when i read this last night :blush::giggle: :headbang:

I understand some claim success preventing collapse while bending tubes by filling the tube with sand.
I've read that process, too. Also never tried it. Sounds kinda messy to me. I've heard of good success with the gentle arcs made by a tubing roller. That's probably my next big investment.

Nice work and descriptions, Skynight.

furyus
Thanks! And I'll be right over to see some Furyus pumping action! :21:

Back