Midriff-ter MTB...My home from May 1 - Aug 1...pg 15 !

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got in a long ride last night, and a short one this morning. The trails were too busy for any photo ops, as the local high school league MTB team was out for their first practice of the season. They train all summer, and do some of the MN MTB Series races, and then compete as a Fall sport for the MN High School League.

I didn't run over anybody, and made a stealthy exit before it got too hectic! They have a cool name, as they are a combined team of the three high schools in our district. PoWER - Park , Woodbury, and East Ridge high schools.

Since I added the suspension seatpost earlier this week, I have had to carry my phone, multi-tool, CO2 cartridge and trigger, and rag in a fanny pack. Not only did that make me look even OLDER and less 'with it'; it also is a little more uncomfortable and more sweaty.

So after a few attempts last night mid-ride at the bike shop, I settled on this interior frame mounted pack that sits right down in the frame, holds all my stuff, and is braced well between the two frame tubes and the water bottle cage. Very pleased with it.

View attachment 240000

And then took a few more photos to contend for the Final Photo in my forth coming Finished Thread.

1. Woodsy, shadowy

View attachment 240005

2. Bushy, prairie, more sunny.

View attachment 240006

Thoughts anyone?
I like the green backdrop of number two much better

Although I do think it would be much better if it was all stripped down without the pack you just added, and possibly even without the water bottle cage. Just the nitty-gritty of the bike itself.

Agreed.
Had to do a quick edit to see it. I'm thinking the problem may be the placement as well. Off to the left would fix it.
View attachment 239976
Of course, if he wanted to, TRM could take out all the 'noise' in this photo with his mad graphik skilz and make it an award winning photo! 🤪

Got in a long ride last night, and a short one this morning. The trails were too busy for any photo ops, as the local high school league MTB team was out for their first practice of the season. They train all summer, and do some of the MN MTB Series races, and then compete as a Fall sport for the MN High School League.

I didn't run over anybody, and made a stealthy exit before it got too hectic! They have a cool name, as they are a combined team of the three high schools in our district. PoWER - Park , Woodbury, and East Ridge high schools.

Since I added the suspension seatpost earlier this week, I have had to carry my phone, multi-tool, CO2 cartridge and trigger, and rag in a fanny pack. Not only did that make me look even OLDER and less 'with it'; it also is a little more uncomfortable and more sweaty.

So after a few attempts last night mid-ride at the bike shop, I settled on this interior frame mounted pack that sits right down in the frame, holds all my stuff, and is braced well between the two frame tubes and the water bottle cage. Very pleased with it.

View attachment 240000

And then took a few more photos to contend for the Final Photo in my forth coming Finished Thread.

1. Woodsy, shadowy

View attachment 240005

2. Bushy, prairie, more sunny.

View attachment 240006

Thoughts anyone?
I like both pics, though I agree with the Capt on deleting the pouch. The second pic shows off the bike better, I think. But both pics just make me want to jump on and shred a trail!

I appreciate the feedback on the photos guys. Since I am shooting these in 'action' mode (ala @The Renaissance Man comment) I will keep the frame bag and cage (and sometimes water bottle when I forget to remove it 🤪) for all the photos. I shoot these during my rides, or immediately post-ride,and tbe bag carries necessities. Including my camera /phone!

The Battle Creek Trails rise up from the Mississippi River, the apex of which tops out around 400' on the bluffs over looking the valley below. Steep singletrack climbs switchback along the face of the bluff, leading to a windy, tight descent back down.

Here are a few more shots taken this morning on my 2 hour ride. Any winners here? 🙄🤔😆

20230708_090027.jpg

20230708_090108.jpg

20230708_094700.jpg

20230708_095345.jpg

20230708_095354.jpg

20230708_102943.jpg

I appreciate the feedback on the photos guys. Since I am shooting these in 'action' mode (ala @The Renaissance Man comment) I will keep the frame bag and cage (and sometimes water bottle when I forget to remove it 🤪) for all the photos. I shoot these during my rides, or immediately post-ride,and tbe bag carries necessities. Including my camera /phone!

The Battle Creek Trails rise up from the Mississippi River, the apex of which tops out around 400' on the bluffs over looking the valley below. Steep singletrack climbs switchback along the face of the bluff, leading to a windy, tight descent back down.

Here are a few more shots taken this morning on my 2 hour ride. Any winners here? 🙄🤔😆

1. View attachment 240152

2. View attachment 240153

3. View attachment 240154

4. View attachment 240155

5. View attachment 240156

6. View attachment 240157
I like 1 & 2 as a backdrop, but it feels like it's in a box.

5 is what I would choose out of these right now (is that a lucky leaf in the cables?)

I love 3 as an action shot, but it needs to be taken a little later in the day. The light is too harsh for a showcase pic. I did a small edit to try and create more contrast between the bike and the background. However, the overhead sun puts a slight glare on your frame that kinda washes it out.

Original:
20230708_142820.jpg

Edit:
20230708_142820-01.jpeg

Last edited:
I don't like the looks angle for 1, looks too much like a picture at the top of a spec sheet. "This is bike. These are it's components". The angled shots have more feel to them

As far as the bag is concerned, I was surprised to see where you'd mounted it; I would have expected to see it under the top tube, wedged in as far forward as it fits. Which way is the zipper opening oriented?

I don't like the looks angle for 1, looks too much like a picture at the top of a spec sheet. "This is bike. These are it's components". The angled shots have more feel to them
So what you're really saying Matti, is, I took a 'catalog worthy' photo? :bigsmile:

As far as the bag is concerned, I was surprised to see where you'd mounted it; I would have expected to see it under the top tube, wedged in as far forward as it fits. Which way is the zipper opening oriented?
In this position, the zipper is on the non-drive side, and zips UP. So it's really easy to extract phone or tool without dumping the whole thing. Did it about 4 times on this ride, 1 to grab my multi-tool to tighten the seat clamp after a harrowing downhill. :oops:

If you look closely, you can see that the cables run underneath the top tube, and the rear der cable is open (no housing) so if I mounted the bag up there, needing two straps, I would inhibit the cable movement. Also, the bottle won't extract from the downtube cage mount position with the bag hung up there. I did try it with the cage mounted on the seat tube., and that was fine, but didn't fix the cable binding issue.

It's pretty much out-of-sight-out-of-mind where it's at now, which gives me one less thing to think about navigating the narrow trails.

Thanks for looking!

@BobbyStillz , you are basically correct when you say "I like 1 & 2 as a backdrop, but it feels like it's in a box."

It's a cavern in the wall of the bluff, with a little cave just left and down of the photo. Very tight little area, but cool rocks and colors.

Thanks for looking!

Bobby, I really like #3 as well. I see your point on the sun washing it out. I tried a little editing, is this any better?

Original

BC final 1.jpg

Edited

BC action shot YES.jpg

I love all the elements in this one; rock, foliage, water fall. Like the bike belongs there.

1. View attachment 240152

2. View attachment 240153

3. View attachment 240154

4. View attachment 240155

5. View attachment 240156

6. View attachment 240157

I like #2 of this batch

Back