Missing screw, trouble finding replacement

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you who aren't tired of me posting every time I have a problem, looking for help again.

I should have been more careful during disassembly cause I can't find the screw that goes into the bottom side of the fork holding the front fender on. I can definitely see a couple threads, but definitely pretty thin. Any recommendations on how to find the right type, size, thread for this?

d0e9ef16706f3a189cd882e6fec497e4.jpg
6b98b2ad7be978a1d032c41213a1f55e.jpg
9bebb3547cc0d5973739ded0e1c58e40.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do you have an Ace Hardware nearby? That's where I go to find general-purpose fasteners. They keep their product in a whole wall of drawers and never give me grief about test-fitting. Take the fork there, buy the one tiny bolt that fits, and promise yourself that you'll always put the fastener back in the empty hole so you won't lose it again. :p

I wasn't thinking about taking the fork off since I just re-greased the head bearings - you are right though, that is the only way. Thanks!

Well, you could always carry the whole assembled frame. My store wouldn't mind.

Realistically, there aren't that many sizes that it could be--diameter+length+thread pitch. It's probably something like 1/4" diameter x 1/2" long, and either coarse or fine thread. Just buy one of each--they only cost like a dime. Be sure to get a pan head or truss head, though. Here's a chart that explains all the different styles:

https://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-information/type-chart.aspx

Last edited:
Great, thanks for the idea. I mean it HAS to be either a standard fine or corse or metric standard right? I'll just get several and try them out, better than disassembling the fork and cleaning it up to bring in. Plus I've already got lots of touch up spots just from assembly after paint. I've got my Sunday planned!

Back