Modifying Schwinn West Coast Chopper Triple Tree Fork

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am building a stretch 20" cruiser for my daughter and wanted to install a triple tree fork. I have a West Coast Chopper bike that I'd like to take the forks off and install. I know that the triple tree forks are too long to just bolt on but can it be cut and used for what I am doing? Any suggestions?

Thanks

I just came from a guy listing a OCC chopper on Craigs list. THey were rusty but paintable. I am glad to find this thread. Can the forks be used in a 24" Diamond back MT bike? They look like they have adjustable plates that are moveable. Anyone go down this road before?

Thanks for the info (got pic/s???). Just curious on the right way of cutting the fork. the top of the forks are threaded and mates to the triple tree adaptor well as the main neck that goes the head tube. Never cut forks before and want to make sure it's done right the first time.

That will complicate things a little. My forks were threadless co I just used a pipe cutter and trimmed it down. With yours being threaded, you might need to go to a bike shop and have them cut the threads further down the steer tube.

Remove the top plate and legs from the lower plate/steer tube. Find a bearing that will fit in the lower cup on your head tube and still ride correctly on the crown race. Once you find that insert the steer tube into the head tube with the bearing in place and mark where the top of the top cup is at on the steer tube. If the bike gods are on your side you will have enough threads on the steer tube to allow the upper cone nut to tighten up properly. If not then take the lower plate into your LBS and have them thread it down past your mark by an inch or so. It shouldn't cost ya too much.

Once you have your bearings and plates figured out, install them on the bike and install the legs. If you want to keep them long, add your wheel and ride away. If you want to shorten them mount your wheel (with inflated tire) and measure the distance between the lower plate and the top of the tire. This will be the maximum you can cut off. I would suggest leaving an inch or so between the tire and lower plate. To cut the legs down remove them from the forks and mark them where you want to cut them off. I like using a pipe cutter to keep the cuts clean.

Now you will need to drive the star nuts from the pieces you cut off by using a piece of pipe or something to knock them out of the cut end. Install the star nuts in the new tops of your forks. The last thing you will need to do to finish up is notch the top of the legs where the little nub in the top plate is (back side of the fork legs on mine).

Here are mine after I cut them down.

2011-05-01132823.jpg

I went to my Craigs list house and fount a 20" OCC Schwinn and a smaller one maybe a 15? . The 20" was rusted and ripped up. Still I could salvage the forks to sand and paint them. But it was not ment to be. Someone offered him his asking price site unseen. No sale. He wanted $55.00 for the rusted 20". All I wanted was the Fork. So I am on the Hunt again. What do these forks sell for? I have not seen them on ebay. I see really nice Chopper forks on ebay for 65.00 and up. I like the cheaper lookin fork.

Rat Rod Beach Goer said:
I went to my Craigs list house and fount a 20" OCC Schwinn and a smaller one maybe a 15? . The 20" was rusted and ripped up. Still I could salvage the forks to sand and paint them. But it was not ment to be. Someone offered him his asking price site unseen. No sale. He wanted $55.00 for the rusted 20". All I wanted was the fork. So I am on the Hunt again. What do these forks sell for? I have not seen them on ebay. I see really nice Chopper forks on ebay for 65.00 and up. I like the cheaper lookin fork.

I have a set of triple tree forks from the mini occ chopper up in the for sale forum. I am asking $35 plus shipping.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=39551

Back