Mongoose Beast Fat Bike build and ideas

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another factor here is that the bike shop versions of a bike similar to this start off in the $500 range and the really serious ATB versions go for $1200 - $3500.

Many of us have admired the bike store versions from afar knowing full well we'd never be able to drop that kind of coin on a fat tire bike.

Mongoose offering a loose version of a similar bike for a much lower price makes them desirable, even if they do require an hour or so of minor adjusting.

The real fun will come in seeing what some of the mad scientists on the forum do with them in the build off. :mrgreen:

I prefer to use a different analogy for these bikes. Not everyone can afford a Ferrari, but you can get a Camaro and have a lot of the same fun without spending the same money, as long as you don't expect it to be a Ferrari.

As far as the quality, it's not that they're necessarily bad quality, but you're buying a relatively low priced, mass produced bike and assembling it right out of the box. There's probably not a lot of time spent on the assembly line adjusting everything perfectly, like a $1000 fat bike would get. If you bought from the store, there's a chance that the assembler might even sort out some of the out of box problems like the tight headsets.

I doubt many people are buying these thinking they're going to compare to a high dollar bike with a limited market.

CeeBee said:
I figure back in 1963 when muscle bikes came out there were naysayers then, too, so I may be wrong. We will know in 50 years.

Future collectors will be seeking original decals and paint complete with shipping scratches. :lol:

Im looking at them for what they are, walmart bikes ... they should have safety 3rd printed on them and one day something will fail that costs more to repair than it costs to replace the whole bike, then you treat it like any other walmart bike, take of the wheels and throw the rest in the scrap pile.

I really didnt want to jump on board either with these, but for $200 I'm going to ride this bike through the big ditch in town until someone is crying and someone is laughing.... and then swap the rims and tires over to a trike.

You guys are looking too deep, thinking too hard.

It's a toy. We're playing with it.

If I need a bike for distance or utilitarian purposes, I've got a 2nd hand hybrid and a couple of sturdy old timers to use. My aching bones can't handle any real off-road work any more, so I obviously don't "need" a "real" fat bike.

DSCN3121_zpse330d978.jpg

I love the way this bike looks. Super awesome! What is the size of those ape hangers? 20 inches?

Let's start a Bike Club and call it the "Beastie Boys" :p
Who is going to be the person to put a "Licensed to Ill" build out there???? 8)

Beastie_boys_logo1.png

...no doubt. And especially this bike! :mrgreen:

I tore down my Beast and painted it...it's a color changing metallic paint that changes from a deep blue, red and purple. I also left the slightest hint of the factory green showing through the black base coat so there's a slight green at certain angles as well. I'll snap some more photos when the sun is out as these don't do it any justice...then again I used my cell for these pics. I obviously have a different seat on it but I'm waiting on a lean back seat post from slowriderz before I change it to something I like better, the post is similar to the one he made for Steve but a bit different. I plan on painting the wheels black, going with different bars and some other touches and riding it in somewhat stock form for a few months before I bust out the torch and welder and make a total muck of this thing :lol:
IMG_20130411_212005.jpg

IMAG1571.jpg

Look forward to seeing that paint in the sun.

Fat Fink II rides with two foot apes.

kingfish254 said:
Rat Fink II rides with two foot apes.

I've been tossing around the idea of running some monster apes. I'm running a 20t rear sprocket right now but I think I'd have to run a 22t because you lose a bit of leverage or strength in your initial few pedals from a stop with apes. A lot of stop and go in Key West, I've been looking for some apes like that locally, but all the ones I've found have that slight bend halfway up and I'm not a fan of those.

A friend said that Fat Fink would work well with a Monster Energy theme.
Someone else should do a Monster Energy bike.

yoothgeye said:
What cranks are you running kingfish?

32T "Pro-Wheel" cranks that came from some unknown bike that I stripped down who knows when. Hope that helps :mrgreen:

Back