More expensive than I thought

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
I'm not real happy with my Rail's seat since it has a tear in it. Plus my son is riding it so it's going to get worn out more. So I've been keeping my eye out for a replacement. A red one popped up and I thought it looked good. So I was in for $50 and threw in my bids. I got outbid and it ended tonight. It must have been more rare than I thought.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SCHWINN-196...P-TUFTED-ACCESSORY-BANANA-SEAT-/201280457410?

Oh yeah, that is a rare one. It is an early Schwinn accessory seat, offered as an over the counter replacement seat by Schwinn. The tufted and hard side versions of those accessory seats sell at pretty high prices.

I was watching that one too. I don't need it or really even have the scratch to buy it, but man that would look cool on my red stingray.

That same seller also had a deep tufted dark grey/silver seat I was watching but I was in for $75 and it went for over $300.
By the way does anyone have a banana seat in the Huffy Rally Bronze or some call it dark orange or copper?

I was gonna pop the stingray tag off it and put a Huffy tag on it! LOL!

My original plan was going to get a custom seat made in the red and burnt orange. But the artist that builds them said it wouldn't last with a kid riding it. And my kid loves to ride it. So, I'll keep my eye open for a good riding seat. I'm trying to avoid the really cheap Chinese ones.

I was gonna pop the stingray tag off it and put a Huffy tag on it! LOL!

My original plan was going to get a custom seat made in the red and burnt orange. But the artist that builds them said it wouldn't last with a kid riding it. And my kid loves to ride it. So, I'll keep my eye open for a good riding seat. I'm trying to avoid the really cheap Chinese ones.
Any chance of getting the one you have recovered?

Crash, with your skillset, I'm not sure why you don't try a recover.

Get a repop ( I like the Pyramid seats but the colors are sort-of matte solid red, not glitter or glossy ).... then remove cover from new seat, and install on original seat ( so you get the right shape instead of the repops squared off,tall profile.
Not that hard to do, if you take your time. Hardest part is finding a good donor seat ( especially with the mylar stripes, if you want those ).

He is referring to the Made in Chain banana seats you see all over eBay. Those are Pyramid brand seats, that is the name they are sold under.

That is a neat seat Jaxon, have been watching that for months ha. I feel that one is a little overpriced, because it is a rubber cover seat. Still cool and vintage, just not the same as the vinyl two pan seats.

I was watching that seat too it took a major jump. One minute it was $40 and A couple hrs later it jumped to $103, did not think it would go as high as it did to sell. Wow!

That was me, I was the high bidder...Just kidding, it wasn't me. All of those seats are killer. I saw that auction when it was a lot lower, I had it on my watch list. I don't really need it, I just thought it looked cool.

here is a Pyramid brand:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sunlit-bana...818?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51cbbb35c2

I have two, in red and blue. my 'review'

one piece pans :(
the colors are not horid, but they ARE sort of a matte color, not shiney or glitter.
I also HATE the shape, tall squared sides, but they are somewhat 'swoopy' like a vintage seat.
Been thinking to open one up and see if the sides can be pulled down to make it more appealing.
What I LIKE is that they have the vintage style embossed stitching, not just a tape stripe, and they have the mylar just like a vintage seat.
My suggestion ( yet to be done by myself but will post once I do one )... is to take the repop cover off, and then install on a vintage 2 piece pan - then you'd have the right shape, decent seat pan, with new embossed vinyl cover.
only drawback is the colors.

your mileage may vary... just not much choices in new seats, sadly.

Last edited:
That is a great idea Green, I just have one caution...since there are holes drilled in the cover for the sissy bar, they might not line up well with the sissy bar holes on the original pan.

Persons seat pans have randomly punched the holes for the sissy bar bolts. You will see the holes in different places on every pan, they really aren't punched in a uniform spot. I have seen them drilled way off centered on a seat too, one hole 1/2 to 3/4 inches back or forward of the other.

Those seats with the off center holes were probably made on Friday ha!

Anyway, maybe measure the holes first, before you take the cover off the Pyramid seat, to make sure it will fit as you would like.

Latest posts

Back