"MotoDromo Special" FINISHED!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good work with the file!
MDCSpecial22-3.jpg

Slow progress the last few days, but the tank is now fully welded and I already filed down most of the welds.

After doing a quick and careful pass with a grinder I used a pair good old files to clean up the welds and get a nice crisp edge.

The rest will be just more grinding and filing so I promise I wont post any more tank pics until its ready to mount:rolleyes:

Speaking of which, I really cant decide how to mount the tank. I was thinking of either four tabs sticking out of the side of the top tube with some machine bolts holding on the tank from above, or maybe something hidden on the ends and a nice leather belt/strap around the tank and top tube, or weld on another 1" tube under the tank and use some tabs to mount it from below. I really cant decide, and there's probably a better way to do it that I cant think of right now, so I welcome ALL opinions :grin::grin::grin:

For reference

Thanks for looking!

The leather straps around the tank would look really cool i think!

Frank
Leather straps matching the saddle would really tie it all together (no pun intended). Looking very good!
Leather straps, I approve.

Rg
The leather straps are a great idea. Check out the aged ones that Ian used year on Western Flyer Super
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/◘◘◘◘◘-estern-ƒlyer-Šuper-◘◘◘◘◘.75560/#post-734202

Well that was surprisingly unanimous:eek: Leather straps it is:grin: Ill go to a few thrift and dollar stores this weekend and and see what I can find.
Thanks for the opinions! And thanks KF for the reference photo! I forgot how epic those yellow wheels look!

Hey RRBrs, its official im almost done! I think:rolleyes: I got some new goodies on the bike and the tank is now solidly mounted to the frame, but im still gonna try and find some cool leather straps before the deadline.
I decided to make some hidden mounts on the front and back of the tank with some nifty rivnuts so I could remove the tank easily. First I made some small tabs to fit the frame tube angles and welded them to the frame.

Then with a deep breath I drilled a pair of holes in the bottom of the tank and used this cool rivnut gun we have at the shop to insert threaded rivets.

Mounted with a machine screw!

I was never really going to use that nice brooks seat for this bike as it was too new and belongs on one of my motorized bikes:p But because of the build end approaching quickly I stole a different seat from one of my other bicycles that I think is more appropriate.

Ive been wanting to use this light for a white on a bike so I figured it would be a perfect complement to the headlight.

While debating where and how to mount it I had a flash of brilliance in elegant simplicity. Behold a slightly filed down washer:grin:

I could be perfectly content being done now and riding off into the sunset, but im definitely going to try and find some leather straps for the tank and just sit back and think of the small details I can do. Im trying to keep this build as clean as I can so ive been refraining from adding any doodads though lord knows ive been tempted:grin:

Thanks for looking!

your weight on that seat may squarsh your light. Did you brace that up? Every step of the way has been friggin cool!

your weight on that seat may squarsh your light. Did you brace that up? Every step of the way has been friggin cool!
Thanks Moisstink! Im 150lbs soaking wet:grin: and the springs are stiff so it should be good, the parking lot test ride was fine too;)

Back