Motorized bike?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to decide which way to go for this summer. I was balancing between a moped or a motor for a bike I already have. My car is going, my van is a gas gugler so one of the 2 would same me gas and aggravation. I live in the country with hills and everything is about 15km away. We have this company advertising their 49cc motor kit for a price that sounds about right to me.
See the ad.
http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-...e-Kit-TOYS4BOYSCALGARY-COM-W0QQAdIdZ128011915

What do you guys think?

i don't know the law in Canada.
but, here, a moped requires a tag,insurance,moped d.l. .
and a motorized bicycle doesn't. that said...
motorized bicycle.it would be cooler too.

laws are the same here. Moped need a license and insurance where moto bike under a certain amount of cc (49 is under the limit) are able to go both on the road and on pathways like a regular bike. I think the motorized bike would fit more in my budget too since it's a once time fee (purchase of the motor) plus the gas (which won't be much).

Just had a chat with the bf and he's right. This motor kit at the price of it must be chinese. Also at this price it's bound to be cheap made so not so reliable. Also he mentioned that a 49cc at our altitude is gutless. Add to it the hills and lots of wind. I don't think it's a good idea after all. I'd better be saving for a new motor for my car.

Hi i notice you were viewing Calgary kijiji. I have decided to leave my 2cents. I have 3 of these kits installed on various bicycles. They are all the same and one of the is actually from toys4boys motor sports just like the kit in the add. I must say they are fantastic bang for your buck. I have never had one break down yet. Yes they are certainly made in china. But the quality is good. I frequently ride my motorized mountain bike from Calgary to Langdon around 65km round trip( on gravel roads). It is a blast. I have contacted the Calgary police department and the transportation safety board and they gave me that same guidelines for power assisted bicycles. You must treat it as a motorized vehicle. This means you are never, ever, EVER permitted to operate it on a bike path. You need to wear a motorcycle helmet and you can only have one gear on the motor drive train(no shift kits) please. The best part is no insurance and no drivers license needed. You can expect around 40km/h crusing speed with the 49cc kit. this is about as fast as i want to go when biking. Worth considering for short trips.

The first one I bought has around 600km of riding on it and it still runs like new. I have had it for 2 years. I don't know the area you are thinking of riding it in so i can't vouch for its road worthiness on your commute. I am going to go way out on a limb and say if you want to go for a ride come on over. My wife and i like to go for rides together lots and if you want to tag along you can borrow one of mine for the trip. Pm me if you are interested. I feel these kits will be fine for what you need. They are reliable, most people that get into trouble are probably reeving them too far. Or expecting to much. Things like expansion chambers, bigger carburetors and tall gears put too much added stress on the super tiny crank shaft.

I don't know what it's like in Canada, but in the U.S. despite the claims of the people who want to sell these things, bike motors are essentially illegal in most states. Worst still is that since scooters have become popular many states have revised their laws regarding mopeds and motorized bicycles (most of which haven't changed since the 1970s until now) - usually making them far more strict than they used to be, or effectively outlawing motorized bikes and "real" mopeds (those with pedals) altogether.

In texas for instance you could ride a motorized bicycle if it had an engine of under 49cc, and did not exceed 20mph. They redid the laws (within the past two years) down to 35cc IIRC and introduced a lot more demands that hadn't been there before. Plus they now require inspections, insurance, a motorcycle license, and helmet use for mopeds! INSANITY!!! :roll:

So if you think you know your local laws, make sure you're up to date!

Back