Mounting Water Botttle Cage on Alum Down Tube

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have my water bottle cage on my handle bars of my Electra Straight 8 and don't like it there. I went to my LBS to see if they had a solution for mounting the cage to the 1.75" down tube, but all they could suggest is going to a hardware store and buying something ugly.

I really don't want to drill the tube. I haven't the skills. A frame builder at the shop said it was a bad idea anyway on an aluminum frame.

Does any one have an elegant, nice looking, easy to implement solution?

This is all about the looks! 8)

Thanks

there's just something wrong about this setup huh?...

interbike-selle-italia-tri-00.jpg

but seriously, there are other tri setups where the cage mounts to the seatpost. some seen here: http://recklesscognition.wordpress.com/ ... nd-bosses/

or how about wearing a small hydration pack and forgetting about the bottle?

You're right! There's something a little wrong with that photo.

Thanks for the link, though. It looks like they show some great options for me. I am constantly amazed that when I walk into my LBS with a simple problem, they never have a solution, but two minutes on the forums, never fails to provide great answers. My LBS, by the way, is voted to be one of the 100 best in the country. I don't know why I bother anymore.

Much appreciated!

rockethead26 said:
You're right! There's something a little wrong with that photo.

Thanks for the link, though. It looks like they show some great options for me. I am constantly amazed that when I walk into my LBS with a simple problem, they never have a solution, but two minutes on the forums, never fails to provide great answers. My LBS, by the way, is voted to be one of the 100 best in the country. I don't know why I bother anymore.

Much appreciated!

I hear ya. Hope you come up with something that works for you.

go to wal mart or any other department store that carrys bikes. for about 7 bucks you can get a cage and bottle with mounting hardware. 2 aluminum bands that wrap the tube tightened with nut and a bolt.

An actual framebuiler said it was a bad idea to drill holes in an aluminum frame?

Nearly every alu MTB on the market has at least 4 holes drilled into it for bottle bosses and rack mounts. Manufacturers use 'riv-nuts' that press/crimp into place, and they have been doing so for nearly 2 decades!

All other solutions are indeed ugly... :wink:

Thanks for the additional suggestions. I'll try the solution I ordered to see what it looks like, then I can always fall back on standard tie wraps. I wanted to avoid the metal clamps for visual reasons. I'm just using a simple Blackburn alloy cage which I hope fits the mounting straps I ordered. I'll find out on Tuesday when it's scheduled to arrive. If not, then a little rubber backing on the cage to prevent tube scratches and 3-4 tie wraps should do the trick.

The frame builder at the LBS was just a visitor and was talking to one of the shop guys. He said that drilling aluminum was fine, but it should be reinforced. I know nothing about such things, and besides, I really didn't want to go that route anyway. This shop does most of it's business with expensive road bikes, so I think I'm just a fly in the ointment to them. The do have about 75 Electra bikes in stock, but seem to know very little about them.

Thanks again, everyone!

Back