mrflibbles does a custom bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys just thought i would share a bike i have been building the last few days. I got the frame from ebay with a winning bid of 0.99c it was a bare frame with the shock and hinge part already fabricated... I just got it at the time because i thought it looked cool!
Fast forward nearly a year and my 2 and a half year old gets his first bike for christmas, the inevitable happens and he asks "Daddy can you go for a ride with me?" So the rebuild starts! so far i have stripped another 20" bmx for parts and have stripped and cleaned as much as possible. Next i Have to find a crank to fit as the one of the bmx i stripped is too big!
heres the frame mocked up with the parts from the other bike:
mybike.jpg

you can see the frame hinges just behind the crank, and yes that is a motorbike shock there! (just took the spring off to clean it!)
mybike3.jpg

a close up of the pivot point, there is a nylon type bush with a metal sleeve ( and you can see all the grunge on it not to mention 3 layers of paint!)
mybike4.jpg

the crank, i have new bearings but need to chase down a cog and pedal set etc for it.
mybike5.jpg

the frame after cleaning/stripping and repainting, most guys that know me know i am a flat black kind of guy, so i broke the traditional colour choice and went with satin black!
mybike6.jpg

shock and spring all together and presentable!
mybike8.jpg

the green thing is a nylon/plastic thingy that stops the frame rubbing the seat post
mybike9.jpg

as the bike sits tonight, wanted red wheels but when i got the paint i liked the green better, its supposed to be bright lime green but looks more apple green to me.
next up i have to get a couple of tyres, a seat and post, hopefully some ape hangers and the chain/ring pedal set up!
Be gentle on me, its my first actual proper strip down rebuild and i know its not perfect but you get that!

your first "proper strip down rebuild"? i just throw together most of my bikes, i like them thats all that really matters to me. the good thing about bikes is that if its not right its easy to do it again, your work looks ok to me. ALL of my bikes come from the rubbish, and i mean ALL!

Wow, that bike brings back some memories!

When I was 12 or 13 I was known as the neighborhood bicycle hoarder, I had a HUGE pile of bicycles, I scrounged for a few and traded for a few others, you name it I had it.

My next door neighbor was into hot rodding, he had a dirt track car, and several hot rods and motorcycles. I would hang out over there helping him bang out dents, and build up hot rod Chevy engines... to make an already long story a little shorter... I ended up building my own version of a mono-shock bike that looked eerily similar to the one you posted above.

It was my first excursion with a stick welder, I put my hinge in front of the BB so the chain would not go slack when you hit a bump, I also used a motorcycle shock and no doubt it was a cushy ride. I got the idea to build it from two other boys in the hood... they rode Yamaha trials motorcycles, and of course they had the Yamaha bicycles to match.

:shock: sooo cool :shock:
although i would have gone for a dark green but thats just me

thanks guys, im keen to see how it rides too! a little concerned about side to side movement at the top of the rear section where the seat post goes through, but oh well we will see when its done!
I can take no credit at all for the mods to the frame to take the shock absorber spring set up, as that was already done when i got the frame, if i was to do it i would possibly look at doing it a little different but i think it looks cool anyway.
i have tyres for the beast now so only a few more things and i will call it done!
already got ideas for the next one...

Pretty sure thats a Repco frame, late 70's I wanna say... wrong forks of course... still worth the kings ransom I'd guess... :roll:

mrflibbles said:
already got ideas for the next one...

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I do that too! Not even finished what I'm working on and I'm thinking of more builds!

This bike looks great! I love the colors you chose. I have a mountain bike with a mono spring on the back and I love the ride... I bet this one is even better. (my frame is really heavy). Looking forward to seeing it finished.

G'day Flib's. Love the mono shock monster.
Now u need to build a bike for the wife and get the family out on the bike tracks.

scrumblero looks to be correct about it being a Repco. I hang out at retro-rollers.com and theres a guy there who has one of these hanging up in his shed. Check it out in the monoshocks section.

This looks very nice. It is great to be able to spend time with the ones we love. Let the little one have some of the fun... :lol:

do it build it up!
found my frame is a repco frame from about 75-79 they made them with the shock in the frame! came with triple tree style frant forks with shocks when new too!
oh well ill build with what i have! thanks to a good mate i now have a crank set and i am currently using the bmx set and handle bars till i can get something better that i like to replace them!
also gotta get a couple more bolts and its done!

Latest posts

Back