mtb frames into ratrods?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got one of my wife's 1st sponsered k2 hardtail frames with an old mechanical amp fork(cerca1980's) and I think I they could make something cool.I could use some feedback.
k2stuff001-1.jpg

k2stuff002-1.jpg

I agree.... That fork is killer. I have an old pro flex, (pre K2) that has the girder front end and have plans to mount it on an old twin tube frame. I think that the mesh of old/new technology is really cool. The only real issue I would have with that frame is its much harder to extensively modify aluminum frames unless you happen to be a great aluminum fabricator.

Well, then don't do anything with the frame except cleaning it (get rid of all those noisy stickers), use wider rims and tires, put on a nice old saddle and handlebar, and let it speak for itself. With a fork like that you can't go wrong.

C.S. said:
Well, then don't do anything with the frame except cleaning it (get rid of all those noisy stickers), use wider rims and tires, put on a nice old saddle and handlebar, and let it speak for itself. With a fork like that you can't go wrong.

agreed!

I took a Redline mtb frame, used a single-speed conversion kit on it and made like a fake BMX cruiser out of it. That frame looks like it would build up nice like that, it's a real smooth ride, that would be real nice with the fork. Pic in my intro below if you want to see.

Ya I would have to strip it down and reclear it and I don't know if I want to do that with every thing my wife is going trough.
Some of the decals like michelin ect. are stickers so those can come off. I think I amgoing to put some silver ano wheels 26"
on it with some fattys because the fork clearence isn't that great with the cyclocross wheels on it.I think I am going to silver the whole thing out.One shinny mess.

what about a 20"/24" on the front and a 24" on the back so ya can throw some oversized tires on it. :)

Squirrel-
I picked up some of these blue cheng shins for a project, and man, are they BLUE!
I htink they would look pretty killer with a silver frame...
I had to reassure my LBS multiple times- yes, i know theyre blue, and yes, i really do want them. They were a little scared of the bright blue cruiser tires... :lol:

http://www.amazon.com/Cheng-Shin-C1218-Street-Blue/dp/B0013G4V1E

Those bars look sweet on it :D I agree, a nicer more vintage style seat, and strip the decals/signage for the bare aluminium look - awesome.

I've got a Giant hardtail I'm about to replace with a dually for the dirt, so Im thinking the old girl will get a single speed make over. I'll post pics when i get around to it, probably not for a while, I'll be too busy on my new dually :p

I turned my MTB into this:
100_2006.jpg

...added fenders, swapped out the bars, whitewalls....maybe not a real Rat, but cruises nice... :mrgreen:
Before:
100_1247.jpg

retrobikerize005.jpg

I decided to change the wheels and tires I didn't like the look of the 700 c wheels, They looked a little bit girlie!
The bike is coming around it kind of reminds me of a old flat tracker.

i can appreciate what you are going for here, but those bars are just too Nasty for this bike. I'm not sure what would look better, but I'm sure somebody on here has something. I'm thinking something in aluminum, cruiser but still flipped like you have. just my 2 cents

maybes omething like this??? Cafe Bars from Electra $24.99

488522.jpg

also - i just noticed the monster spokes on those new wheels... Nice!

Ya its nice to have alot of cool race stuff from my wife, who in there rite mind would put a $800 set of race wheels on a rat style bike.LOL The wheels are a set of mavic cross max tubless with maxtel bladed spokes. A my lbs they have a set of soma bars just like the ones on there that are new and aluminum but the only pair and I have to wait for another set to come in,so they gave me a loner set so I can mock up the bike.I think I want to put some sort of jam brake on it to set it off. I could put a disk or rim brakes but how unfun is that. If anyone has any ideas about some sort of jam brake for the rear wheel,I kind of have an idea but want some incite.

squirrel this bike looks crazy fast!! honestly though, i wouldnt change the paint or take off the stickers at all. kinda like paying homage to your wife. sorry to hear about the cancer. in my prayers bro. SICK BIKE!!!

Easy E

Back