BO15 Mudd (my name is)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today is the best weather we have had here in quite some time. Old Mudd has been hanging out by the pond turning green, Detroit Diesel alpine green. My body work shows through, the paint isn't 'zactly pretty, my good family name has been drug through the Mudd again. Mudd was never intended to be pretty though and even if I had decent painting skills I wouldn't change a thing. Mudd has had an obviously hard life and it gets to keep some of its' scars and look the part.

20200530_164045.jpg

Great color! And, despite what you say, I'd say that paint job holds up just fine!
Its a bit of a two blocker. I could wet sand it and make an improvement but Mudd is like an old snapping turtle, it wears its moss with pride.

Last edited:
So, now that I'm roughly halfway through my first build off, I'm already thinking about next year when I'm a grizzled old veteran, a faraway look in my eyes and bottom bracket grease caked in my beard. No more brush painted bikes. Keep every scrap of bicycle stuff that comes my way. Bare frames can be better than complete bikes. I need more garage space. I need even more garage space. Check frames for damage before parting with my cash. Make sure the wifes convertible top is up before stinking up the garage, sheesh. Of course I just bought a rattle canned tall frame '40 DX with a crank bite out of the chainstay and a slightly bent seatstay because its the journey man, its the journey.

Got the logos and head badge done, just waiting a while before I clear over them. The back tire barely clears so I have a set of axle adjusters ordered to keep it centered. I can't fit the fork until the correct headset arrives. I didn't like the way the truss rods looked so they are removed. No side stand for Mudd. I need to pick up a carriage bolt for the seat clamp. I decided to leave the rims as is, they work with the rest of it. The wheel hubs need fresh grease and Mudd is d-u-n dun.

20200531_142009.jpg
20200531_141245 (1).jpg

Love the stickers. Especially the Mr. Natural.
It all goes well with the Bianchidonk green paint.

1591136899058.png

The correct headset and shim showed up. I was putting new pipes on my motorsickle and dropped one effectively dinging the tip of the pipe and scarfing Mudds seat tube so I have to touch up the paint before I even get to ride it.

That bike looks like a solid, all-day rider right there! And that paint color is so unique, looks great with the chrome and black . Well designed, nicely executed!

That bike looks like a solid, all-day rider right there! And that paint color is so unique, looks great with the chrome and black . Well designed, nicely executed!
It wasn't intended, but when I look at Mudd the colors remind me of the the lathes and mills in a machine shop

Now that you mention it, that color is somewhere between my drill press and my belt / disc sander! :wink1: :nod:

101989541_341915076789277_4762840941369229312_n.jpg
101814537_256978312047864_2226474792427454464_n.jpg

Sorry about the blurriness, my eyes haven't completely focused yet this morning!

Waiting for parts....................... The chain adjusters seem to be on a tour of the USA courtesy of the USPS. My eyes adored them, so close, so close and yet so far

I just checked the tracking number for the axle adjusters I ordered. I live in Illinois and if you think my last post was some jive talkin'', check this out:

_9FTspir2AkmJV04yJVTCqcw5kb77yWElboczJj5rEMIWeeKy3eEqK0VIdSeS8Y3XKb_uuypjr-A0z0mFLJm54NF5beDO6xutGb4kKKKS8f115Gi3GreOgJ4D1pGK63R1THe5b2twUk

Tracking number created
May 31, 10:48AM
Henderson, NV
g-j6jq1lKgp30dqxKW83MXVDGHh4XfmLc5dl8PgE-YrbHmW-aM6b7fbSxwz31mcGWQMem0FzBhTDBNUWQmjwlWq7Lhsjh851GBGGUumtVnr9wJd9N0-Sz-yxCtXeChC-5hnVm9AWUA4

Package received by USPS

Od78vXBT2p2-jkSRpnH0bXMBPtUtgoEjllUhY0R_qwqwZLfuOje1mIMdejDkxPJYujzsI8PdXNh7dDAl5FYb7B3jkd-7KsiJRPMSxHHGOSCLm9LnLv09eJTYUbrBu7peA6ZohBsJzQ

In transit
June 07, 03:04AM
Springfield Ma Network Distribution Center

Out for delivery

Delivered

I just checked the tracking number for the axle adjusters I ordered. I live in Illinois and if you think my last post was some jive talkin'', check this out:

_9FTspir2AkmJV04yJVTCqcw5kb77yWElboczJj5rEMIWeeKy3eEqK0VIdSeS8Y3XKb_uuypjr-A0z0mFLJm54NF5beDO6xutGb4kKKKS8f115Gi3GreOgJ4D1pGK63R1THe5b2twUk

Tracking number created
May 31, 10:48AM
Henderson, NV
g-j6jq1lKgp30dqxKW83MXVDGHh4XfmLc5dl8PgE-YrbHmW-aM6b7fbSxwz31mcGWQMem0FzBhTDBNUWQmjwlWq7Lhsjh851GBGGUumtVnr9wJd9N0-Sz-yxCtXeChC-5hnVm9AWUA4

Package received by USPS

Od78vXBT2p2-jkSRpnH0bXMBPtUtgoEjllUhY0R_qwqwZLfuOje1mIMdejDkxPJYujzsI8PdXNh7dDAl5FYb7B3jkd-7KsiJRPMSxHHGOSCLm9LnLv09eJTYUbrBu7peA6ZohBsJzQ

In transit
June 07, 03:04AM
Springfield Ma Network Distribution Center

Out for delivery

Delivered

1591617362991.png

Well, while I wait for the axle adjusters to make their 50 state whirlwind tour, I'm going to break Mudd down and hose him with Krylon clear coat. I'm really digging this bike and it has bumped my Heavy Duti out of shop truck status. Mudd has character and that is essential for any of my rides.

I don't want to ride Mudd aimlessly in downtown Squaresville so I went deep into the fiery bowels of my Skunk Works for some tech that would get me to Paradise City where the grass is green and the girls are pretty. Valve stems. Nothing commercially available could get me there so I hitched up my britches and dug deep. The solution was pencil toppers. I found some that are cooler than a polar bears hiney. The orifice of a pencil topper is slightly smaller than a valve cap, therefore I heated up a metal valve cap and rammed it into the aforementioned orifice effectively bonding them together. Now I'm the mayor of Wayoutsville,

View attachment 123048
Yes indeed! I have a couple fez monkey pencil toppers on my triple bar.
20200408_212712.jpg
20200408_212718.jpg

The axle adjusters finally showed up. They have some jet lag and are a bit travel weary from their adventures. I needed to repaint the seat tube because I gouged it and decided to hose Mudd down with some clear coat while I'm at it. The weather here has been despicable for quite a while but this weekend finally gave us some clear, comfortable, low humidity weather. So, Old Mudd is hanging in the painting tree again. Unfortunately, the painting tree is is at the east end of my palatial estate and the wind has been 12 mph easterly for three days now and tomorrow looks the same. This is the final step to having my chick magnet done and I'm starting to get antsy.

Back